How long do you leave your kids in their room when you 'send them to their room'

Mine is 6 and I have recently stretched the time to 30 min(after the screaming stops) because 15 was not getting the point across...

P.S. He has HFA so spanking WILL NOT WORK for him. and yes he looses fun stuff in combination with the 'room time'

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think that amount of time is sufficient- I think that you are doing the right thing by also taking away the fun stuff in the room while they have their punishment. My son is 4 and he gets around 10 minutes or so, depending on his screaming....great job you are right on target!
    rbailey2414

Answer by rbailey2414 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• when she's finished screaming ill go in there and talk to her. it's usually about 10 minutes after the incident happened. if she doesn't want to talk, or apologize for what she did wrong, or is still giving me an attitude, ill tell her to come out when she's ready to behave and be nice.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I always thought the "rule" was a minute for every year of age. At six his timeout would be six minutes. I also didn't send my dd to her room because there was fun stuff for her to do in there. I would make her sit on a chair doing nothing.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I have the theory of if his room is so fun' then why wasn't he in there to begin with. lol. FOr him it is the quiet and solitude he needs to 'come down' from his melt-downs.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I send my 7 yr old daughter to her room with the door open untill she stops screaming,other wise she is not allowed to come out.
    meleia396

Answer by meleia396 at 5:09 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I choose not to put my children in a bed room. There is toys and things they can have fun with. I put them in a corner for ten min after the screaming has stoped. It works for my step daughter but not my step son. lol go figure
    future_mommy01

Answer by future_mommy01 at 5:17 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• However long it takes, and it also depends on the 'crime'. Continuing to cry, scream, and carry on while in their room makes the time out last that much longer. It's usually 10 minutes for my 6 year old - but more time is added if he starts to act back up again. I expect calm, quiet behavior in time out. The whole point to me is to allow them time to step away from a situation and get control over their emotions.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• A year for age. 30 min is WAY too long for a 6 year old. If you are consistent it won't take that.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 2:17 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• WILL U PUT THEM N THERE FOR JUST 6 MINUTES
    ASHLIELOVCHRIS

Answer by ASHLIELOVCHRIS at 2:25 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• U KNOW ONE MORE THANKG U MAY WANT TO NOT PUT HIM IN HIS ROOM GET TO KNOW HIM LET HIM HELP U COOK OR SOMETING LOOK I HAVE A STEP SON THAT IS ABOUT TO B 6 ON 27TH AND SOMETIME THAY DO IT SO U WANT B THERE WIHT THERE SISTER OR BORTHER
    ASHLIELOVCHRIS

Answer by ASHLIELOVCHRIS at 2:27 AM on Dec. 7, 2010