Learning Spanish

If I buy a program or books to help me learn Spanish, and do daily studying and work, is it possible to become fluent on my own? Or does one need to take a class? I would like to learn, but with three kids I don't have the flexibility to take a class. I was doing German before with the Rosetta program, but definitely don't have the money to buy that program again for a different language. My husband is going into business and I thought it would be helpful if I knew Spanish for some of his customers.

I apologize, I just never know the appropriate catergories to put my questions in!

amybaby_19

Asked by amybaby_19 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• What you need to do is learn some basics on your own - just enough to "get your foot in the door" as it were in a conversation. You can do this any number of ways, buy an old Spanish textbook, look up stuff online, make yourself flashcards. You'll have to get a pronunciation guide somewhere, but that's the easiest part of Spanish, b/c for the most part every letter makes the same sound all the time (unlike English where you would need someone to tell you how to say each different word). Then once you have learned some basic words and sentences, you NEED to intereact in Spanish. This will be the quantum leap in your learning - the point at which you will learn LOTS, FAST. Good luck!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 10:19 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• The thing about becoming fluent is thatt you need to practice with someone. So, if you start learning it, and listening to it on tape, or tv or wherever, you will be about 1/2 there. Then you need to practice having conversations. Maybe a neighbor, or one of us can speak with you!

Good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:05 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My 7yo is learning with this :

http://www.learnspanishtoday.com/cmd.php?af=1182712

You can try it free at first and then decide to buy it if you like it.

Anonymous

• All the Spanish my daughter (4) knows comes from Dora and Diego. I back it up with the Spanish that I know, but the accent I use is different from D & D. The accent they use has a soft "y" and "ll" sound. The accent I use is more harsh. Listen to their accent and then listen to someone from Argentina, and you'll have my accent.

If you're willing to fork out the money, you can always try Rosetta Stone.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 7:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My daughter is multi-lingual. She says you need daily contact with a native Spanish speaker-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:02 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Thanks, everyone. I will follow all of your advice. Experience, experience, experience. Thank you!
    amybaby_19

Comment by amybaby_19 (original poster) at 10:55 AM on Dec. 7, 2010