If you saw a stranger who needed help, would you help them?

AbsoluteSelf

Asked by AbsoluteSelf at 4:57 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• That's a very broad question. I have been faced with MANY strangers that needed help, and some I've helped and some not.

Basically, if someone needs help, I try to ask this question: What is really going to help them? Is a hand-out going to help or hinder them?

I believe there are people who have become dependent on hand-outs when they really are capable of helping themselves, and when that hand-out could be used for someone really in need. At the same time, I don't want to be jaded and never help anyone. Usually if I do help, I'll give someone food or gas or whatever rather than cash.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• It depends on what it is. I'm not handing out money, but if someone needs help I'll try in most cases. The one that sticks out in my memory is something that happened in the grocery store parking lot. A mom had locked her keys in her car, along with her toddler. She was frantic to get it unlocked, obviously. I happened to have some metal marshmallow sticks in my trunk from a recent camping trick, and she managed to unlock her door using that.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:03 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yes I would, and I have. It was very cold and windy out, I was on my way home from class, and I saw a car broken down on the side of the road. A little farther down the road was a couple walking on the side of the road with gas can in their hand but the gas station was a couple miles away yet so I stopped and picked them up, drove them to the gas station and back to their car:)
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• yes, there are times where I will see someone stuggling with groceries or trying to do something that requires two people and I will see people walk by and look at them and just keep walking, what has happened to people? I will also pick up garbage that's laying on the ground and again I will see people just kick it out ot the way or walk around it. Why is it so hard to just help out?
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 5:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Depends onl the situation and the person. If the person was a mother with her kids, yes. Someone on the side of the road, no. A single guy wondering around, no. (I actually do a quick walk/run to get away of the person pursues me)
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 5:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• It depends on the situation. If there was something I could easliy do and not be in any sort of harm I would definitely help any way I could. There are so many scammers out there, though, it is tough to know if the person's need is legit.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:14 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Id do my best
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:59 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• If I could, yes.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:59 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• If I am able to, I would try.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Depends, there are a lot of weridos out there.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 5:02 PM on Dec. 6, 2010