Would this worry you?

My sister and I are opeing a children clothing store (consignment) in pretty much a black neighborhood. I kind of worried because I know alot of black people are racist against white people and they might cause problems. My sister is not worried. I'm not only worried, but scared to be left alone there. I told my sister that neither of us are ever to be left alone there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• Not sure, is it a bad neighborhood? You didn't really say its bad, just that its in a black neighborhood. I am sure regardless of where you open one that you will do well, and have no problems. Don't think that someone would rob a consignment store.

NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 5:23 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Well, aren't black neighborhoods usually bad.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Blacks dont equal crime! Whites live in bad neighborhoods too! It's all about the area, not the inhabitants. You could always install a security system w/ an alarm and cameras. Also once you get the hang of things you could hire help so you're not alone
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:27 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Well, maybe here's the confusion: a lot of neighborhoods that are primarily black are also low-income areas and maybe even have a higher crime rate. But there ARE also higher-status neighborhoods that are primarily black. If you are in one of the low-income areas, then I understand your concern a little, but that still doesn't mean you're in danger. Find out about this neighborhood, find out if it has a high crime rate. Give it a chance, and you might make some really good friends there who will have your back. If you're uncomfortable, stick together for awhile until you get a feel for things. You might find it to be a very friendly neighborhood. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• No, not all black neighborhoods are bad. Maybe you shouldn't open a store there if that's how you feel. Maybe you should go to the prim and proper WHITE neighborhoods where you could still have trouble. White people are just as capable of doing a crime!

NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 5:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Honestly it's not the color of skin that makes a neighborhood good or bad, but if the neighborhood is a lower income "bad" neighborhood this is NOT the place to open a consignment shop. You want your shop on a busy street in a middle to upper class neighborhood, that's who your customers will be.

I live near Buffalo, NY and if a shop is in a bad neighborhood i will never even step in the door.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:22 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• You should have analyzed if it was in a bad area way before this. Black doesn't equal bad. And regardless of where it is no female employee should be there alone. Do more homework.
    Anonymous

• What's the crime rate? Just because it's a black area doesn't mean it's unsafe. I would worry in more white areas where I live than black. I would look into crime rates and just make sure to keep yourself safe. If you are really worried go with your gut. Good luck and have fun with the store.
    jillrebecca3

Answer by jillrebecca3 at 12:39 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Honestly, if you're that nervous to be in your own store, then you should find a different location for it.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2010