Why does everyone seem to think that Obamas presidency start now?

According to Wikipedia , "Current President George W. Bush, the forty-third President, was inaugurated on January 20, 2001 to a first term and on January 20, 2005 to a second. His second term expires at noon on January 20, 2009, after which he will be succeeded by Barack Obama, the president-elect from the 2008 presidential election."
Why should it start right now? Would you do this to any other President if it wasn't Bush or Obama?

Tayandstevenmom

Asked by Tayandstevenmom at 3:37 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• yeah i think the would.

i thin its just that they dont IKNOW
    or that they dont call him 'president to be" idk i hope that made sense.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• They have always done this routine haven't they? I think Obama pretty much HAS to start ASAP though, because of the situation of the country it is best that he gets in there and starts learning the ropes. Its good that Bush welcomes him and hopefully helps him get more familiar with things before Jan 20.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 3:40 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I thought that they went ahead and got started on things, since it takes time to make all the plans and preparations. That way some things can go into effect immediately in January.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 3:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• No Obama does not start until he is sworn in on January 20 at Noon, but he is getting the same reports that President Bush does so that the transition is not difficult. That is all he is not able to do anything about it until after the inauguration when his term starts.
    Tayandstevenmom

Answer by Tayandstevenmom at 3:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• it's because he is taking over during a time of war.
    they also did this during the vietnam war when nixon took office.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I think most people realize he is not president now. He is the president-elect. That's why people continuously refer to 1/21/09, the day the reins are passed.
    lilmami81

Answer by lilmami81 at 4:13 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• This always happens. For the two months between election and Jan. 20 the president elect chooses his staff and is briefed daily on what's going on in the white house. I think it's being watched more closely this time because we're in two wars during this transition. Also, the change in leadership of this country is being watched globally. Many world leaders despise Bush and are very happy Obama was elected. They are watching who he's picking for his staff and they're most likely watching how the transition is going - is Bush being cooperative, etc.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• But this is not what I am asking, For anonymous @ 2:51pm Yes I do own a Television and a computer and have internet, since I am on it right now. I also have a teaching degree and my double major was Education and Political Science. This is the trasition but why on Cafemom does everyone state his term, he is president now, started on November 5?
    Tayandstevenmom

Answer by Tayandstevenmom at 5:26 PM on Nov. 6, 2008