Does anyone do St. Nick anymore?

Ok so growing up St. Nick always comes on the night of the 5th and I have carried that tradition onto my children. My daughter went to school today (4th grade) and no one in her class knew what she was talking about. She said her teacher didnt even know that he came. Im not talking about Santa Clause just St. Nick. Does anyone else do the St Nick thing with the small bag filled with fruit, nuts and a small gift or is it just our family? If you can please bump really needing peoples comments on this.

caponesmommy

Asked by caponesmommy at 5:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sorry, I've not heard this either. Therefore, we don't do it in our house. I'm 51 and have never done it or known anyone who has.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:46 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I know its more of a Catholic thing and a lot of my friends at work have heard of it but dont do it.
    caponesmommy

Comment by caponesmommy (original poster) at 5:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I was raised Catholic and we never did it in our household. As I said, never heard of doing it. My SO is also Catholic. I asked him and he didn't know either.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:49 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Never heard of it. I have my hands full with the whole Santa Claus deal. Sounds interesting, though. =)
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 5:49 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• It is regional - where we grew up it was done but where we raised our kids hardly anyone knew what it was. The only one's that knew what it was where anyone with ties to where we grew up.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 5:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I've heard of it--based on an actual monk or priest who used to put gifts in the shoes of poor children, I think? Personally, I like the idea better than Santa Clause, but we don't do either.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 6:27 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• We do both and the kids love it... its not really anything big just put sacks on the door around 6 at night and check it the next morning and each bag has a small gift a couple apples, oranges, bananas, peanuts and maybe a candy cane and ginger bread cookie.
    caponesmommy

Comment by caponesmommy (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I havent heard of it. But it sounds cute :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 7:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I have never heard of it either but one of the little boys at school today was very excited about it! I told him he was a lucky little boy!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2010