So, its okay to raise a child in an Atheist home so long as...

...You don't object to them attending church if they are invited.

Would you of faith based religions yield to the same standard if your children were invited to attend Secular Humanist meetings?

***EDIT***

Since some of you seem confused about what a Secular Humanist is, I suggest you click on THIS LINK which explains Secular Humanism prior to answering. I did NOT ask you if you allowed your child to attend other churches, but rather, if you would object to their attendence of SH meetings, were they invited.

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 5:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Other faiths would not be as understanding. I'm Atheist and neither of my children have a spiritual belief but let me give you an example...this past Friday, my son and I went to lunch with a friend of mine that is very close to us but she moved away and we hadn't seen her in a while. She had to go find something in her life and became a Christian missionary. She knows I'm Atheist but we joked back and fourth about stuff etc. When we were at lunch she asked "do you mind if we say grace?" I said "no way sweetie...I'm very thankful to have you." We said grace and I was fine with it.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 5:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I would allow my children to attend any religious event they were offered... I am going to go ahead and say with in reason because someone is inevitable going to say something along the lines of 'what if it involved group sex or human sacrifice' ::sigh::

Seriously though. I may raise them christian but that doesn't mean no other religions exist and I want them to know about as many as possible.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I'd encourage him to explore what else it out there. That is afterall how I ended up where I am. I'd have a chat with him though, making sure he isnt doing it out of manipulation. If someone told him he's going to hell and needs to go to church because he doesnt believe in their faith, I'd discourage him from going. IMO, A believe isnt worth believing if it is taught out of fear
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I am of very mixed religion. I hated religion being forced on me as a child and personally, I refuse to do it to my children. I found the faith that I believed in and I believe that my children should find what they believe in, to each their own sort of thing.
    leasure0911

Answer by leasure0911 at 5:55 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• good question!

I know parents who are athiest & they encourage their kids to experience religions actually...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:58 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• No I wouldn't let my son attend a churches teachings if they were invited, until he was a lot older. 15 or so. I have let my son go to random church events that are activities for children when he's invited. He enjoys those, and I think it's neat that the church has those from time to time.

I don't mind people saying grace, a prayer etc. I respect that.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 5:59 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My children don't normally go anywhere without me but my oldest has gone to church with his friend. We are baptist his friend was Catholic. My children would be able to go to other churches/places of worship if they were invited as long as I knew the parents WELL and they didn't talk down about our religion.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I am athiest! my daughters father is christian,whatever religion she decides to claim I do not care.
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 6:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• my self and my dh are both athiest and we both know that it's not for us do to how we feel about it... but my son is also his own person and feel that if he wants to go to church with a friend then we are all for it but we are not going to change the way of our life style in our own home... but we will support our son no matter what.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 6:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I see no reason why I wouldn't based on the link you posted.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:20 PM on Dec. 6, 2010