If your kids do something stupid you told them not to do do you feel bad when they get hurt?

My DD keeps climbing on the back of the couch. I have told her over and over not to get up there. I have given her time out more times than I can count for climbing. Well, she just fell off. And wants me to feel sorry for her. Ha! I told you not to be up there. You aren't bleeding or broken and it's your own fault. Don't so it again. Let nature do the discipline. I mean I felt a little bit bad she was hurt but Geez Girl!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm w/you momma...as long as there aren't any broken bones or blood, it's "I told ya so". I also ask if it scared her more or hurt her more...usually the tears are from fear, not from being hurt.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• If I tell them over & over not to & they do & get hurt, then no I don't feel bad for them. They should have listened. They come to me crying I say "What did I tell you?" They say "Not to do it". I say "Well you did it & what happened?" They say "I got hurt". I say "What are you going to do next time?" They say "Listen to you". Yeah had this convo many, many times since becoming a mom!
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 5:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yes I would still feel bad, after all, that is kid fashion to do somthing their not suppose to.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 5:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Of course we feel badly when one of our kids is hurt. Even when we warned them. But, in this case, keep the feeling bad to yourself and as you said, let the experience be the discipline.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• NO!!!!!!!! Don't feel bad! Only if its bleeding, broken or fell off! Some kids are hardheaded! My all are, very stubborn! So like you said let nature take its course! I'm not one to baby them!
    dabellz5

Answer by dabellz5 at 5:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I'd feel bad that they hurt, but i wouldn't go baby them to be honest. I tell my son the same thing when he's done something I ask him not to do. I then say see this is why I told you not to climb on such and such.....

Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 5:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Hell, I tell my kids after I warned them that if they get hurt don't come crying to me. Obviously if they are serious injured I will still tend to them but if not I basically say, "told you so". They get over it. Some kids have to learn the hard way.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• i do but don't show it cause i want them to know that i told them not to... and hope that he learned his lesson... it's tough love as much as we want to run to there rescue we have to show them that we mean buisness.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 5:56 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• If the child isn't bleeding or hurt than it is a lesson learned. I would feel bad but I wouldn't let my child know that.
    jenna355

Answer by jenna355 at 6:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• It would depend if they were really hurting, or just a little bump. Most of the time I think their more shook up or mad (especially if they know they weren't supposed to!) in which case I'd be gentle, but not sympathetic. If they're really hurt, there's nothing worse than having mom rub it in by saying, "Told you so!" I try to tell DH that: if DS gets his fingers badly pinched in the door, that's lesson enough without getting a scolding. Incidentally, DS (who is 14 months) had the toilet lid fall on his hand and got stuck the other day. Wasn't hurt, really, just whining and wanting out. I confess, DH and I put our hands on our hips and smirked at him for a minute before we released him! LOL!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 6:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2010