For those working CMers - do you buy your boss a present?

I go totally uninspired each year - a bottle of wine. There, you are good to go!

Asked by tasches at 5:56 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes, I do always do something not the same thing every year this year we are making painted jars with potpourri and a candle in them

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• We have a social committee and we pay dues for gifts. So, we use that money each year to get him a gift card from the whole staff. So, I don't buy anything else...but I know some people do.

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:02 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Wine may not be good. I'm a recovering alcoholic and unless it comes up no one knows. So if I get a bottle of's a useless gift. Same thing use to happen to my poor son when he was little, he was not allowed to play with guns...guns are not toys but as a little boy, he'ld get tons of gun sets, cowboy guns sets, war sets, etc. It was always disappointing to him. Why not some nice herbal tea, dollar store Christmas mug, dollar store honey bear and a dollar store basket. No one will know how much you spent and I know I would appreciate it by leaps and bounds.

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 6:02 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I never have and anyplace I have worked has had a policy against doing that.

Answer by confused969 at 6:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Her entire team (23 of us) gets together to buy her one gift. She usually gets great things, GPS, concert tickets, digital cameras. She is a great boss, so I don't feel like it is too much.

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 6:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I have in the past but It didn't even cross my mind this year.

Answer by Cassandre at 9:16 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• You are hired! I would be happy to receive a bottle of wine as a gift. I don't have a boss to buy for, but I am managing to give all my employees a small Christmas bonus.

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:29 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• When I was working outside the home, we bought my boss a gift as a department.

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:26 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• hahaha, thx yourspecialkid - I also give wine to fellow employees but I do pay attention to who drinks and who doesn't - as it would insensitive to those who battle with alcoholism (as shouldhaveleft notes ...)

Comment by tasches (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Dec. 7, 2010