I'm Canceling The Holidays

Not really, but still.........

How do you do anything fun with your kids?

Every time we try to plan something fun the kids ruin it with misbehavior. They fight, they argue, if we try to play a game they refuse to follow rules or play fairly, won't take turns and it always ends in total chaos.

Special meals are ruined because they are impatient, begging and demanding for the treats while we are still trying to cook. Involving them does not work, they try and take charge, get in the way, demand things done their way ect. They fight with each other, who gets to do what and on and on. Things get broken or destroyed.

There is always one child that begins picking on the others relentlessly to the point of tears and mom want to pull her hair out.

At the last party my 7 yr old accidentally popped her balloon because she was playing to aggressively. She got upset, took everyone else's balloons and set them free in the front yard. (one at a time whenever a back was turned)

Why do we do this? Is this just the way holidays are? This isn't enjoyable. I almost want to just never celebrate again. It's too frustrating.

Anonymous5

Asked by Anonymous5 at 6:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Holidays

• I feel your pain...my hubby wants to know why I bother trying all the time...but I do anyway
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:03 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• We put too high expectations on Holidays. If we treated it like every other day it wouldn't be so bad, however we want it to be perfect and magical and that doesn't exist when kids are so unpredictable. Think of how easy it is to have fun with your kids on a tuesday in the middle of July.. Why? There's no pressure, you just go with the flow. You aren't trying to uphold tradition or make memories, just having a good day. Try not to force the fun momma, it will be easier on everyone.
    Winter1derland

Answer by Winter1derland at 6:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I wonder why I bother trying at all either. And I have grown children who bring their kids to our house then never help cook, or have their kids pick uo their toys or help with dishes afterward. I just feel so frustrated anymore
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Not to be rude, but make your children mind.
    leasure0911

Answer by leasure0911 at 6:05 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• let your kids know if they keep misbehaving chrismas is going to skip your house.... i'm sure there attitudes will change
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 6:06 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Cancel the Holidays... tell them that... do not put any decorations up... don't do anything... let them think
    that you actually did and tell them why...
    Tell them that their behavior doesn't warrant a special day such as Christmas...
    Also not to be rude... but you are the parent... take control of the children bc it sounds like they are controlling you

GL
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:16 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• If you threaten not having the holiday think it over carefully and follow through with it.. One of the worst things you can do is threaten something that you will never follow through on and the kids know it. So, only threaten things that you really will do.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:41 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I'm glad my kids are in college
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:02 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I want to cancel it this year. I cannot get into the mood. How can I get in the holiday spirit when my father died 11 days ago? It just seems so pointless. I know, do it for the kids. I just can't seem to get it together. Between working and driving down to Indiana to sort through his house with no help from my sisters, I am just drained.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Bet your kids are under 12- I get so tired of always going out of my way and not even getting a thanks from any of my family- We went through a "bratty" stage and we went to an angel tree and got gifts for other kids that really need it- than we told kids one gift $20 only. "Santa brought them things like new toothbrush, underware,socks, pj's and "wrote them" a note saying they better start next year on a good list not the naughty list
    40andholding

Answer by 40andholding at 1:17 AM on Dec. 7, 2010