Do you agree with republican George Voinovich?

Retiring Sen. George Voinovich (R-Ohio) has broken ground in the Senate by becoming the first to announce that he won't support any extension of the Bush tax cuts -- for middle-class families or the wealthy -- on the grounds that it fails to address serious tax reform or take any real steps toward fiscal austerity.

"As I look at my experience, I believe that if this thing goes through and we extend it, we will kick this thing down the road," Voinovich said in an interview after addressing an Aspen Institute roundtable in Washington. "It's completely irresponsible."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 6:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I do.

Kill me now...

But I think they should be *temporarily* extended until the economy is on more even footing and then the SPENDING is cut first before taxes are raised. Some taxes will have to be raised to resolve the deficit. But I want to see a budget that works first-not just hand the Hill more money to spend.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:19 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• No I don't.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:22 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• ;-)
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 6:29 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• No, and certainly not now.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:32 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Broadly speaking, yes. Though no-one else in either party seems willing to face up to the necessity of some tax increases , some expenditure increases are almost unavoidable. I am thinking particularly of the unemployment benefit extensions next year which I assume cannot be wholly funded from current contributions. So Voinovich's position seems rational in the present siruation.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• What does it matter? He's RETIRING in a couple of weeks!! No love lost there!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

•  

What does it matter? He's RETIRING in a couple of weeks!! No love lost there!! :o)

Yup..so he can actually tell the TRUTH now....

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Continuing to temporarily extend the cuts is just prolonging the agony. It's only going to be harder in the end- IF deficit reductionis really the goal!- Lower income families have come to rely on that money. And the multi-millionaires and billionaires are ROTFLTAO!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:39 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I agree with tax reform down the road..keep the tax cuts esp right now.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:58 AM on Dec. 7, 2010