Do you consider it more important to be liked or respected?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 6:14 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Respected, I don't expect anyone to like me, but I think you should show me respect as a human being. There are lots of people I don't know, or don't like, but I will not be disrespectful to them. I don't really care about being liked..by my friends and family, but they should respect me, also. I am a big believer in respect.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 6:35 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Neither. I want to be feared MUWAHHAHAHAHAH!

Just kidding :) In my personal life, both are important for any functioning relationship. In the professional world respect is more important than being popular.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:17 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• respect... cause you may not like me but you should respect me and so forth... lots of ppl may not like eachother but you should always respect them.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 6:17 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I think the two go hand in hand. I'm not going to like someone I don't respect and I'm not going to respect someone I don't like. I think respect would be the key thing though.
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 6:16 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I guess you are talking about the work place? Respected. I go to work to do a job not to be liked by all.

Answer by louise2 at 6:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I disagree. They don't necessarily go hand in hand. I don't have to like someone to respect them. I see people every day that I don't know. Yet, I show them respect. I was a core leader in one of my many positions with a major airline. Not everyone liked me. But, they respected my position and where it got our team in the long run. I like my ex-MIL...but, I don't respect a lot of the decisions she's made. So, really, like and respect are 2 separate issues for me.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 6:25 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• respect.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 6:19 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Respect of course, I have always told my kids you don't have to like someone but you need to respect their opinions.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 6:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Interesting question. In this town where i live. Respected because if you are not they will pull anything over on you that they possibly can. Its ironic because I feel that my family is actually not and thats why I have so many problems. They are everyones door matt because they dont fight and when they do they most often lose. When I lived in the city being like was more important. And i was!!!!!!!
    NE1outthere

Answer by NE1outthere at 6:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Well, deep down inside I think everyone wants a little bit of both. But at the same time if I had to choose I'd rather be respected. I've been told by many that I'm quite likeable, and I'm great at my job because of my personality. But sometimes people take my likeability and friendlyness as a weakness and try to take advantage. That's when the respect issue comes in.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2010