Town forced to move Nativity Scene...

Let me just say this is ridiculous! I understand the idea of separation of Church and State, and would much prefer to see no religious decorations at govt. buildings simply because it's impossible to represent everyone... BUT, writing angry letters over a Nativity Scene is crazy!

***

A Pennsylvania town has removed a Nativity scene from the borough building after a resident complained.

Canonsburg Borough Manager received a written complaint last week from resident Megan Hartley. She wrote that the creche was disrespectful to citizens who aren't Christian and that it shouldn't be displayed at a government building.

Creche Removed From Borough Building After Complaint

What are your thoughts? Is it disrespectful? Should it be there? Is it worth writing angry letters over?

To me, there are so many things to get upset over, this just seems petty...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:32 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Religious Debate

• It's ridiculous.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 6:35 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I don't think anything religious should be represented in front of gov't builidings....however, I would NOT create a fuss over it if I saw one. Thats ridiculous.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:37 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• If that were in my small town, which is predominantly Catholic and Lutheran, that letter would have been ignored. I don't care what people celebrate. I'm not offended by any type of holiday decoration. I think fighting over who should celebrate what is getting way out of hand this year. Sometimes I wonder if some people actually aren't offended but just want to have something to bitch and complain about to feel important. Or they are miserable and want others to be too. Some people always have to havesome sort of conflict going at all times.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Is it disrespectful- to others who are not Christian it can be seen that way
    Should it be there- No it shouldn't have
    Is it worth writing angry letters over- Not angry ones. I can understand one that points out how it could be offensive to others but I think it depends on what is considered "angry" Did she threaten to sue- that I would consider going overboard, or did she simply request the council give more thought to the other religions that also have celebrations this time of year and might not be Christian.

It's a hard call that often works as a double edge sword and someone is going to be upet on either side.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I believe that law is in place for a reason. Someone noticed this slipped under the radar and complained.Yes its petty,but I'm sure the town wasn't ready for a lawsuit.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:39 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Holy hairy monkeys! Some people just have to have something to whine and complain about. Why can't people just celebrate the season with happiness and good tidings towards one another instead of all the petty bullsh*t about whose holiday gets celebrated and which religion can have what symbol?

Get over it and just enjoy the damn season!!! Sheesh!!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 6:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I was just reading your post on Facebook. I think it's kind of insane. If you don't like it don't look! If you are a different religion why don't you ask if you can put up something from YOUR religion up?
    In my home town they have the Nativity up at the public library. They have the Star of David inside ( it's a quilt that a local lady made) and a painting of Kwanza corn over the front desk. All were giving to the library from local people.
    Eco_Momma

Answer by Eco_Momma at 6:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yeah, my issue really isn't that they moved it but HOW this woman went about it. It IS a small town - in fact legally it's not even large enough to be considered a town, it's a borough! And it is mostly Catholic like the entire SWPA. Like I said, I don't think it belongs there either. But to be honest I wouldn't be offended, in fact I put one up usually, I see it as a Pagan symbol as much a Christian one. But this is a 57yr tradition - not some new decoration... What upsets me, like I said, isn't so much that they were asked to move it, but that HOW she decided to go about it. Had she simply asked, I don't think it would have been a big deal, but she had to write, what the news called a "strongly worded angry letter." That's what bothered me... To me, that was just, if not more, inappropriate than the decorations were...

Especially since there is a Christmas tree there that she DIDN'T complain about!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• That is seriously stupid.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Hmmm, well they didn't have to remove it entirely. They simply moved it off the property the gov't building was on. I don't see that being a big deal. It's still in view where everyone can see it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2010