How to give / donate items for the poor and unfortunate?

I want to donate some items that i no longer need. I dont want to just donate them to a help bin because there are always people with trucks that just take everything. I want to make sure that people can get items that they need or would appropriate without someone else making money off of it. Is the salvation army a good place or do they just sell things too? is the red cross a place i could go to? thanks in advance.

NaiveDream

Asked by NaiveDream at 6:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• the red cross and salvation army will give you receipts for tax purposes and they are wonderful places that keep it local!
    with so much aid going overseas and I dont mean to American military its nice to see some of it stay here
    skervinsmom

Answer by skervinsmom at 6:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• yes, go to red cross.
    Anonymous

• Churches, contact your local schools, Red Cross, Salvation Army, Womens Shelters
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:39 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• If you want the stuff to go directly then I would search out churches and those types of groups. I give to the Salvation Army stores because not only am I helping someone who doesn't have alot of money to purchase things but the money that is made goes out to those in need.
    momofne

Answer by momofne at 9:27 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I know here locally we have diff programs that do have resale shops like battered womens shlter, special ed kids, animal charities and while they do sell the stuff it all goes back to help the charity,
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 9:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I would go local, if you want to be sure people will get your items--shelters, churches, food banks, etc.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:41 PM on Dec. 6, 2010