Does your toddler do this?

My son will be 2 next month and I have been working on the potty training thing, but not strictly..just trying to let him tell me when he is ready....but when I ask him if he would like to set on the potty to go poop he tells me no but today he told me no and I went ahead and put him on the potty anyways and he pooped in the potty along with peed in the potty. Of course I made and always make a huge deal and clap and cheer for him and he gets 1 treat for peeing and 2 for pooping. Should I just start taking him and not asking? Or how do I go about thjs? I know when he is gonna go poop and he always tells me when he peed so he is more than ready in my opinion.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 6:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep putting him on the potty and soon he will do it himself.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 6:43 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• when i was potty training my girls i always just took them to the bathroom every so often i didn't give them a choice i would make them at least sit there for a couple minutes. alot don't agree with that and believe they should choose when they want go go, but doing this my kids were potty trained really early
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:43 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yes, don't ask. Just tell him on a regular schedule that it is time to try to go potty. And remind him that he will know soon when he has to go and can tell you.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• i am working on potty training my 2 year old also and everyone tells me to just put her on the potty every 1/2 hour to hour. its very time consuming so u need to do it when u have a weekend free or a few days. are you using pull ups or underwear? ive heard u should just do underwear cold turkey. curious what other ppl think. my daughter knows when she is going to "poop" and says "poop on potty?" but we have not done it consistantly enough to completely potty train her. good luck! keep us posted :)
    mamakate15

Answer by mamakate15 at 9:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2010