i dont really no were to say(*vent needs helpfull advicee)

OK so heres the run down 3 weeks ago i met my younger sister at my aunts 80th birthday bash well it wasn't the first time i met her but i haven't seen her since we were kids so it was awkward well after the party she kept telling me don't be a stranger and to keep in touch she gave me her number and she even made a face book page the other day so we could keep in contact,Well i only talk to her if she writes me r texts me first not in a mean way its just its kind of awkward for me and im kind of shy i don't want her to get the idea that i don't wanna build a relationship with her its just i don't what to say,it gets really weird does anyone have any ideas on how i can fix this or were can i start?
before the party we haven't seen each other since i was 7 and she was 5 so we really don't rember much
but any helpful advice will do thank you
ooh and we dont live very far away from each other im like 30 minutes away

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• just send friendly emails every week or two updating her on what your family has been up to (it doesnt have to be long, just a paragraph). call her on holidays and such to wish her a merry christmas or whatever....little things like this show kindness and interest but arent really putting yourself out there too much and dont take much time or effort. then, just follow her lead depending on how involved you want to get.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 7:19 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Maybe in addition to the emails you could try to do something together, but maybe not something like going to lunch where all there is to do is sit there and stare at each other and try to come up with things to talk about. Maybe go to a movie together (at least you can talk about the movie after) or if you both have kids get them together to play, or go to the gym together or something. Just try to think of something where there is an activity to occupy some of your time and keep the conversation going. The more time you spend getting to know each other the more comfortable you will feel with her. She is your sister afterall and it really sounds like she is reaching out and wants a relationship. Unless there is a reason to keep your distance then you shouldn't shut her out. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 7:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Why haven't you guys seen each other since you were kids?
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 9:25 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Its your sister...get to know her without any restrictions. Since she set up a Facebook page, write on her wall just to say hi. Send pictures of the kids and let her know what's going on in your world...and then begin having heart to heart talks with her to build on the relationship. The best friendships that I have are with my sisters...and even though the two of you haven't seen one another in a long time, you will eventually begin to build the bond you both need...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 2:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2010