No Contract Cell Phones

My husband and I have come to the realization that cell phones sans contracts are the cheapest way to go.  Which "provider" do you prefer?  

We're in a rural-ish town (about an hour north of Tyler, TX) so cell service period isn't all that super in coverage.  A few of our friends have Straight Talk and haven't had any problems.  We've been Sprint customers for years and prefer them, but we still have a balance that we owe them (that we can't pay yet) so we can't exactly sign up with a new contract with them.  I'd love to eventually have a smart phone through Sprint again, but I think it will be awhile.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 7:29 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Shopping

• SPRINT!!! we live in a town or like 1000 people nothing but hill and cows and we get servive.!!! 3 bars
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 7:33 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I use Metro PCS. It serves it's purpose.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I have page plus and love it.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 7:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I would say either Cricket or Boost.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 7:33 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Virgin Mobile is "sprints" prepaid service. I believe it's like 50 bucks a month for unlimited talk and text.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 7:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I use Net10 and I get great reception where ever I go. I love it because there is no contract and I pay as I go. Works great for me.
    NaturalMomOfTwo

Answer by NaturalMomOfTwo at 7:37 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Boost Mobile
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 8:06 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Verizon here is The Best , I have a I-Wireless phone for now prepaid minutes .They have a monthly unlimted pay as you go plan you should go to there website and check it out i know they do here :))It raly is the best thing to do but i Miss my sprint account to it helps youre credit and in my case i need that:)
    SparklingMom78

Answer by SparklingMom78 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My friend's kids have pay as you go phone through Verizon and they have never had a problem with them. Not to mention if you get it through Verizon we can talk for free. :)
    kerijeanbean

Answer by kerijeanbean at 8:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• The population here is about 13,000 but you wouldn't know it by how sparse the place is. The main cell phone provider here is Verizon and I'd say that 90% of the population here uses Verizon. My husband worked for Verizon's call center some years ago and refuses to go anywhere near them. My mom uses Verizon, but she had to be in the right spot here to even get a signal (she came down from CO to visit last month).

The Straight Talk website has three free refurbished phones with the purchase of a monthly plan of $45. This includes unlimited minutes, text, and data (internet).
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Dec. 6, 2010