Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

no father on baby's birth certificate

well i am trying to find whatever answews that i can about this. my son was born and i didnt put the babys father on the certificate due to some issues. well the issues have been resolved over 3 years and now before i go the length to put the father on the certificate i am wondering if anyone knows of any ways of doing this without having to go thru court or a dna test. parents are not married yet, and live in new york state. i have read little about the AOP. Please help!

Answer Question

Asked by mommy_mobile25 at 4:03 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • i am pretty sure it needs to be a legal thing with dna testing at least in my state it does (WI) you get a letter when they are about to file the BC asking to make any corrections prior to it being filed because once its done its done

    Answer by humaniterian87 at 4:05 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

  • As far as I know, without his name on the birth certificate you have to have a DNA test to prove he is the father. I'm sure there are places/people/organizations that can help with the cost. Good luck!!

    Answer by AnnHenderson at 4:08 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

  • I am not totally sure, I would contact the courts in your town to see what they say. I know that when my son was born his father was not listened on the birth certificate. When my husband and I married I still had to have my son's bio father sign over his rights, so that my husband could adopt my son.

    Not sure if this makes sense. Good Luck

    Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:09 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

  • My DH is on my boys BC but is not the bio father! So I don't know...

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

  • I didnt list my daughters biological father on her birth certificate, for many reasons. I will not be adding his name ever. You can go to the state website and they will have a link about birth certificates and it should tell you everything you need to know. You can also call your county courthouse for information on finding a lawyer to work for free for you.There are lawyers that work for the state and do these things for free if you qualify. Personally, if the childs father wants it, then let him do it all. It shouldnt be your responsibility whether issues with him have been solved or not. Just my opinion and dont want to tread on your toes.

    Answer by pinkcalla721 at 1:50 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.