My baby is almost 2 weeks old and she is awake during the night and awake during the day, I am better at handling her during the day but at night i know i have to have my fair share of baby time. the problem is i get overwhelmed very easy and am impatient. i hate to hear her cry when i cant figure out what is wrong with her. And i am still very sore. Sometimes i hurt so bad i cant move. or even pick her up. My husband and i are arguing alot more. and i find myself crying alot more too.

I am worried, and frustrated and i need some advice on how to handle all these things.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I really suggest speaking to a doctor about this. PD is common and it's ok to just talk to your dr to be safe. But also, have someone like maybe your mom help you out wherever possible. You need a breather, Momma! Take care and good luck
    JohnnaM.

Answer by JohnnaM. at 10:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Congratulations on your new daughter! Learning to deal with the schedule of a newborns can be very frustrating. You didn't say if you had a c-section or vaginal birth, but if you are in severe pain that is not relieved by pain medication, I would contact your doctor. Soreness is normal, but pain relievers should help ease the discomfort. Try to sleep whenever she sleep, regardless if it is 3am or 3pm. You may also want to talk to your pediatrition about colic if you baby is crying more than normal. If you are breastfeeding, have your baby checked to be sure she is gaining weight, and is not crying due to hunger. If you are formula feeding, talk to your pediatrition about special formulas designed to ease colic (I know Enfamil makes one). Finally, enlist any help that you can. Don't be embarrassed to ask a friend or family member for some extra help. They may love to rock the baby for a few hours so you can get caught up on some needed rest. Good luck!
    Teacher_Momma

Answer by Teacher_Momma at 11:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Get help! All those friends who said they would love to come hold baby, really would! Call them! You are going to need some rest!

I think I fought a lot with my hubby during my sons first month or two because I was tired and grouchy, and took everything he said to my heart. I just couldn't function well with so little sleep.

After you talk to your pediatrician about her sleep patterns, and they say she is fine, I read the book babywise. I loved it, and taught my son how to sleep on his own, and he would sleep better for longer periods of time.

I know it is hard right now, but it will get better as she grows.
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 11:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• trust me it will get a lot better. i have two that were like that. try to lay her down with a bottle of water. i know drs. say dont give them water. i did mine were fine. they just dont want to let them drink a lot of it.and most inportant NAP when she does.i hope this helps.
    JCOGER

Answer by JCOGER at 12:53 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• The first couple of months are hard! I often wondered if I could take my daughter back to the hospital and get a refund. ;-) Babies cry, A LOT. More than you ever thought they could, sometimes. It doesn't necessarily mean that there is anything wrong with her though; crying is how babies communicate. Even though it's hard now, if you take a step back and listen to her when she cries, it will become easier for you to tell what she needs. Her hungry cry is not the same as her sleepy cry. Keep up with her well baby visits, and let her pediatrician know if you think there's a problem.

As for you: it's natural for you to overexhausted and overwhelmed right now. But if these feelings persist, you might want to talk to your doctor about postpartum depression. We all say that there's no way that we'll be depressed with our new bundle of joy, but PPD is a chemical imbalance--it doesn't have anything to do with how much you love your daughter.
    briarraindancer

Answer by briarraindancer at 1:02 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Oooh, the first few months are the worst! don't worry, soon it will pass, and you will have a fun little playmate. Just try to get as much sleep as possible, nurse as much as possible, and do enlist the help of your friends and neighbors during the day. Check out my journals about sleeping and the dangers of "babywise" and sleep schedules, and join some of the breastfeeding groups for support if you are breastfeeding. I have really learned a LOT from them. Hang on there! It will get better! If you worry that you could potentially harm your baby though, get checked out for PPD, it is very common and can be treated by your doctor.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 1:21 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• The first months are hard for EVERYONE. I literally had walkie talkies to talk to my husband because I left my bedroom so rarely. I had the bassinet next to my bed, a Diaper Genie and the other essentials, and some food and drink for me with a trashcan.
    While your hormones even out, a lot of women experience mood issues, but if you start really feeling worried, crying excessively, or even have thoughts of hurting your baby, go get help immediately.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 2:00 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Sometimes babies cry because they want to be held, and do not let ANYONE convince you that that's wrong. Sometimes they just want to comfort nurse, or even just cuddle until they sleep, and that's OKAY.
    If you had a c-section, it sounds like you need some better pain medication (and yes, there are good meds that are safe for nursing), and don't feel upset about asking your husband to change a diaper or ten. Pop the baby in a stroller and go for a walk outside, or get a sling and keep her against you while you walk around. Both can help if you're hurting as well, but don't do anything that seriously causes pain. You can even ask your hubby to take the baby for a quick 'round the block walk when you just want 10 minutes alone to shower.
    RanaAurora

• Everyones answeres are good, but you just need to let her cry. If she is not hungry , fine,not wet,fine,not in pain,fine. Sometimes they just cry. They are babies. you...... get your rest, ya hear.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 4:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• You said your 2 week old baby girl awake during the night and day ? Doesn't she ever sleep? You need a break, ask for help. Mom? in law? Talk to your doctor too!
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 4:51 AM on Jul. 6, 2008