So. I had an idea at work today. . .

I recently got hired to do tech support for veterinary management software and am currently in training. The past few days we've learned about inventory, treatments, purchasing and recieving portions of the program.

My idea to get a little extra practice with those parts of the program was to use the intentory feature to put in all of our food items that we buy-- I can even customize categories (dry goods, canned goods, meats, dairy, etc.) This, along with what everything costs-- long-term it would give us a great overview of how much we spend on food a month. (My mom started tracking all of this by hand years ago and they started saving tons of money by it.)

In the Treatments section of the program, there's a grouping feature where a veterinarian can link items from inventory to a service and it will automatically deduct the items used in that service from inventory. My thought was to use this feature to create a computerized recipe book that automatically deducts my inventoried food items from each recipe I have plugged in.

There is also a variance feature here that can be used for Waste.

There is a Reorder Report funcion that automatically lists all of the inventory items that are out of stock, or in low stock, which would be a great grocery list, and no more than a few clicks of the mouse would have everything replenished into inventory.

Here's my big idea: My mother, when I was growing up, worked off of card files to keep the house organized. She had cards broken down into daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly tasks that needed to be done around the house, and also managed all the shopping by writing everything down. What if I could convince them to convert this program into a computerized card-file? It would be easy to use, and the software is pretty inexpensive.

Are there any of you out there who are big into being organized who would be interested in this?

meganbearden

Asked by meganbearden at 8:43 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• If I'm understanding the premise correctly (forgive me, I'm running on 2 hours of sleep & the adrenaline-fueled panic of Finals Week) it sounds great! It sounds like it would help a home run much more smoothly. Smooth running home=more mommy time=YAAAYYY!!!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 8:56 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• You are understanding the premise exactly. Think about never again running around the kitchen trying to make a grocery list? And no more "Crap, we forgot milk!" moments.

How many of us are on the computer a lot every day anyway. A couple of mouse-clicks and suddenly today's game-plan for housework pops up. It would be so simple. No more forgotten chores.

Like, I completely forgot to do laundry all week last week because things were so busy. Would have been great to have something to remind me.
    meganbearden

Comment by meganbearden (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• That would be AWESOME!! I am always looking online for things to help me be more organized. This sounds exactly like something I would be interested in looking into, regardless of whether or not it ended up working out for me!
    poopdeck2006

Answer by poopdeck2006 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2010