Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Spin-off from another question: If you were asked to pay 500-600 more in taxes wach year...

...and the national debt would be paid off in less than 81 years, would you do it?

There were 307,006,550 people counted in the 2009 census.
If 57% are paying taxes, and 43% are not, then what would happen if the non-payers paid 500.00 at the end of each year, and the other 57% paid just 600.00 more? (Sure beats the average 1500-1900 more we'd be paying if the tax cuts expired)

That would generate approx. 171,002,648,350 dollars per year! That would pay the national debt off in about 81 years. That's not even considering the amount of taxes already paid in, that could go toward the debt if it wasn't being spent the way it is now.

600.00 per year would be 50 per month
500.00 is about 41.00 per month.

Is it worth it to spend that much each month to get our country out of debt? It is to me, IF I believed that that's where the money would go! Unfortunately, I'm afraid the folks on Capitol Hill would see all of that money coming in and think it was payday. I digress.

Answer Question
 
kenzie07

Asked by kenzie07 at 8:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 18 (6,259 Credits)
Answers (65)
  • OOPS! Was supposed to be EACH year! Should've proofread.
    kenzie07

    Comment by kenzie07 (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • I have already paid in 250k in taxes this year pretty sure I paid in more than my fair share. Ask some of the ladies here who have no tax liability if they would be willing to give up some of their money.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • Nope. Part of a healthy economy is having a little debt. It's part of what gives our dollar value.
    UpSheRises

    Answer by UpSheRises at 8:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • I pay a heck of a lot more than that right now.
    m-avi

    Answer by m-avi at 8:49 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • Like you said, there is no guarantee that the money would be used for this. I have a hard time agreeing to any tax increases simply for the fact that I think we are padding the politicians' pockets way too much already.

    scout_mom

    Answer by scout_mom at 8:49 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • Me again. If I actually thought anything extra I paid would go towards debt I wouldn't care. It won't just more spending will happen the current President and Congress have a horrid track record. I prefer to keep my money at this point and donate to worthy causes.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • I have already paid in 250k in taxes this year pretty sure I paid in more than my fair share
    ---
    Pretty sure you didn't
    Anyway,I know what I pay, and I know what I have to show for it as a result with Government Efficiciency....NO I don't offer Charity to the Government.
    jewjewbee

    Answer by jewjewbee at 8:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • I would gladly pay 600 more a year. I would want it  to be invested in helping the economy right now, then we can worry about the deficit. There are some people that 41$ a month would put a strain on their financial situation. So I don't think they could do it, but I would be glad to.

    mommom2000

    Answer by mommom2000 at 8:55 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • Pretty sure you didn't
    Anyway,I know what I pay, and I know what I have to show for it as a result with Government Efficiciency....NO I don't offer Charity to the Government.


    Pretty sure I did. Sorry you can't grasp that people do have money on here. Jealousy sucks I guess.lol
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • I would gladly pay 600 more a year
    -------------
    Write the check this year, what's stopping you?
    jewjewbee

    Answer by jewjewbee at 9:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN