Very TMI question about dd's hooha

I noticed today while cleaning my dd's diaper area that her inner labia have started to fuse together. She has an appointment to get checked out, but in the meantime, has anyone else had this happen? How do they fix it/prevent it from going further? I'm putting A&D on it for now with every diaper change hoping it at least keeps it from getting worse.

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 9:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The causes of fused labia
    The labia are normally separate at birth, and for a couple of months after birth, because oestrogen from the mother has crossed through the placenta to the baby.
    After 3 to 6 months, when oestrogen levels have become very low, the labia may become stuck together, possibly because of irritation of the skin – maybe nappy rash, or not keeping the skin clean, or irritation due to some products such as soaps or bubble bath.
    Rarely the irritation causing the labia to become fused is due to chronic sexual abuse, but this is not the usual reason for fused labia.

What does it look like?
    The labia are joined together by a thin membrane (thin tissue), starting from the back of the labia (near the anus), usually with a hole at the front that urine can come through. The entrance to the vagina can be completely hidden.

What problems can occur?
    Small amounts of urine may get trapped inside the membrane
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• i have never heard of that. i hope she is ok.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 9:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I know I would definitely be worried. Nothing like that happened with my daughter. I pray everything checks out okay.
    meganbearden

Answer by meganbearden at 9:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Small amounts of urine may get trapped inside the membrane, and the girl can get an infection, and irritation of the skin and lining of the vagina.
    Sometimes a girl may have repeated bladder infections.
    Sometimes there can be trouble with toilet training, because a little urine gets caught above the fused labia (inside the vagina), and leaks out after she gets off the toilet, wetting her pants. This can be confusing for a very young child who feels like she has let all her wee out, only to have some more trickle out.
    Pulling the fused labia apart can be painful, and there can be a little bleeding along the edges of the labia. As the labia heal, the edges can fuse together again.

Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Mostly, fused labia do not cause problems, and they separate without any treatment as the girl gets older, and her oestrogen levels rise. If not they use a special cream to separate the labia gradually. If this doesn't work they use a mild anesthetic and separate the labia.

I hope that helped you a little! Best wishes, she'll be fine!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Thank you for the info!
    rhianna1708

Comment by rhianna1708 (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• No problem. Good luck! " :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• What Mysicmom80 said, plus they might just give you a cream like destine to help out. That happened to my friend's daughter and she said they gave her a cream to use.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 9:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Like a destine (spelling?). :) I should make sure I have my glasses on before posting things.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 9:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2010