Why is my career choice still 'looked down on'

I am a qualified nanny and really enjoy my job. I am lucky enough to work for a fantastic family and am still able to be at home and run my household efficiently, yet when I am asked what I do, I get a really patronizing look and it really upsets me. I work hard and I know that my boss couldn't do her job if she didn't know her kids were well looked after.

I think that it is a privilige to be trusted with someone elses kids. My job isn't paid well so I am certainly not in this career for the money, but for the satisfaction that I am providing a caring, nurturing environment for a child whose parents have to work.

I would love to hear if anyone else feels like this.

Take care, Daisy

daisydays171

Asked by daisydays171 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• I have had nanny's in the past, and I actually prefer them over daycare. I can't believe someone would look down on you for that. Yes there are some crappy ones, but there are bad workers in every field. How are they doing so?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I see absolutely nothing wrong with your proffession. I think it's great that you get so much satisfaction out of your work!
    meganbearden

Answer by meganbearden at 9:03 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I've never heard of a nanny being "looked down upon" I certainly don't. It takes a special person to do that. I couldn't.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I LOVED being a nanny. I wouldn't look down on anyone who chose to do it, it's an extremely rewarding career. And it's good money, too.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I'm also a nanny and understand what you are talking about completly. I use to run an in home daycare and work 15 hour days. Other moms would make comments that I was so lucky because I didn't have to work. I don't know what world these people live in that children magically care for themselves.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 9:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I work in food service. I have my degree in hospitality. I wait tables because the hours are great. The money is good. People look down on it as a profession. Besides enjoying the fact that my real job is to make guests happy, I tell myself that what I do is Christ-like. I serve others, it humbling and important all at once. I get it.
    randieia

Answer by randieia at 9:11 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I do not look down upon anyone's profession, not even stripping.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:50 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I think being a nanny is a wonderful profession.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 10:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I felt this way in my last job but with mostly family members. I worked for a non-profit and worked with homeless children and youth as it was a great feel good job it was not a money making job but I loved it. I often got emails from family members with different job openings. I lost my job about 3 months ago because of lack of funds. I was heart broken over it but my family was not. I have since decided on a different field but it really did suck getting comments or looks from people. I say do what makes you happy. :)
    jillrebecca3

Answer by jillrebecca3 at 12:33 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I don't really know that it's you that people look down on. I think it's the people who hire nannies that are looked down on, simply because people assume the nanny is raising the children not the parent.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2010