Best disaplinary action

My two boys (9 and 6) just broke the younger one's bed by rough-housing. Any suggestions for quality disaplinary action? We are not into physical disapline such as spanking.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• since the little ones bed got broken they each get a sleeping bag on the floor untill you can fix the bed...then they learn consequenses of breaking neccessary things.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 9:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I think the sleeping bag on the floor is good and/or maybe they need to do some extra chores to earn some amount (whatever you think is fair) towards paying to fix or replace the bed.
    NaturalMomOfTwo

Answer by NaturalMomOfTwo at 9:58 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I don't think I'd do anything. It was an accident. Boys roughhouse. Have dad fix the bed or buy a better made bed. Not being mean. Just sayin'

Answer by admckenzie at 10:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• When my son breaks something or we have to replace something because of his actions I usually tell him he needs to understand that our things our expensive and we have a limited amount of money to replace them. So I tell him he needs to pick out some of his toys (which he values greatly) to sell so I can get the money I need to pay for the item he broke. Yes sometimes it is an accident. But I have also told him he is in charge of his actions and needs to be more aware of what he is doing. I don't get mad or upset. Just factual. And yes he does get upset. He has to part with a beloved toy. But when I have to part with a broken picture frame or whatever...he has to learn to be careful and respectful. Thankfully I have only done this twice. I only do this for big accidents. One where I would have to replace something. I do tell my son when he wrestles and plays to remember he is still responsible for his actions.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:46 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I also try to have him clean up whatever mess he makes. In the case of if it is glass....no. Or course I would not have him clean things that are going to potentially going to hurt him. But whenever possible he cleans his messes. If my son broke his bed frame I would be very upset. Especially since we just had it redone and I don't have the moeny to replace it. So I would most likley have to really consider what I would do carefully. My guess is that I would tell him that the money he would get for Christmas would go to pay for the bed (if this just happend now). It would really upset him because he has so many toys he wants to buy. But I really would use that money towards fixing his bed. He would have to know how much this really upsets me. Even more so since the bed is something passed down from my Great, Great Uncle to him.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:53 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• If the bed is fixable have them help fix it. And remind them that when they break something they need to take responsibility for it and this is how they are doing it.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 8:56 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• "I don't think I'd do anything. It was an accident. Boys roughhouse. Have dad fix the bed or buy a better made bed. Not being mean. Just sayin' "

Roughhousing is fine, but there are better places to do it than on a bed.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:07 AM on Dec. 7, 2010