• In the Spotlight:

Does anyone really consider Wikipedia an source of factual information?

You do realize that anyone can submit an article. You don't have to be right or smart on anything. If you are refuting facts, you need to come a little stronger than that.

lilmami81

Asked by lilmami81 at 4:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• no I don't. There is a reason why universities and even high schools won't accept them as sources for papers. Anyone can post there.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 4:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• well, if you have something to prove it wrong, you can send that information in and they will delete the false information.

Anonymous

• I know that it is not always right, I do go to that site and then go to at least 2 others and compare information, but I never use that site as a source!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 4:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• ummm no more then I consider McDonald's Healthy Food...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:23 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I think it's a good starting point. But yes, anyone can edit the information. And yes, they will correct errors - but only once they know about them. Until then, the wrong information stays posted. So, like I said, it's a good starting point. Then you need to answer that age old research question "Who ELSE says so."
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:27 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I initally rejected Wikipedia as a source for anything, but now use it to get just general information on pop culture, geography, biology, and stuff like that, but for most things that are historical, religious or political, i take it with a grain of salt because sometimes it can be difficult to word those topics in a neutral manner without it sounding biased. I also look for clickable sources and citations.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 4:28 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• well, I know I can't use it as a reference in school.
    Anonymous

• I know ChaCha doesn't
    Anonymous

• THANK YOU. I keep posting this over and over and over!!
    Anonymous

• i do consider it to be a valid and reliable source and i know the vast majority of research librarians agree with me. :)
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:21 PM on Nov. 6, 2008