Breastfeeding resources and advice needed please.

I am determined to breastfeed this baby. I tried with our son but after several weeks of frustration, I finally gave up. :-( I really want to make it work this time. However, I know things have changed a lot since then so point me in the right direction, please. Any good books to read? What materials do you suggest? What will I need to have on hand? Which breast pump do you recommend?

Thanks, ladies!

EwansMommy

Asked by EwansMommy at 9:39 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Set up an appointment with an "internationally board certified registered nurse lactation consultant" for after you leave the hospital. You can cancel it if all is going great, but if things are crazy, it will be nice to have it already set up. It is always good to get the affirmation from such a consultant that things are going well, and to begin that relationship with her so that you can call with questions. I spent $85 on a private visit, and it was the best money I ever spent!!!

I found a lot of help, answers, and encouragement from a breastfeeding support group - for free! Some of us still hang out over a year later, and I provide childcare for a mom I met there. So cool!

Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 12:17 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Things to have on hand: disposable breast pads, lanolin, hot/cold packs (great for engorgement), one very stretchy nursing bra to wear in the hospital (get fitted after engorgement is done for the rest).
    Breast pump: depends on how often you want to pump, Medela, Lanisoh, and Simplisse are all excellent brands. My Medela manual is way more effective than my First years electric. If you pump have storage bags handy.
    Talk to your LC at the hospital, they are usually a wealth of information and I have found that other nursing moms are way more informative than books, but feel free to pm if you have questions. DD and I are successfully nursing and she's 11 months old, she's never had a bottle of formula.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I really recommend the medela pump in style and also contacting the LLL (Le leche league)
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• kellymom.com and la leche league are great resources.
    do you have to pump?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• so are you pregnant again? why is this question in the 3-4yr old category?

Anyways I know how you feel. I was unable to feed my 1st due to her being tongue tied and too much stress, my 2nd was allergic and now with my 3rd I am breastfeeding perfectly for 3 months now and no stopping in site! Just be determined! Ask for help and if someone is just stressing you out tell them to get lost and you'll figure it all out! the most tricky part is the first couple weeks but after that its pretty easy!! Lots of luck and pm me if you need anymore help!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• it just takes hard work....I remember feeling the way you did. The first 6 weeks are the hardest and it can feel like an eternity. Use lacation consultants and other BF'ing moms for support...a good cry may help too. Limit bottles as much as possible. I likes the medela pump myself and also had a hand pump avent that worked good but it was exhausting!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 9:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Dr. Sears, The Breastfeeding Book, is awesome. I wish I had read it before I had my son. I would rent a hospital pump - the Medela Symphony in particular. I couldn't nurse so I have been pumping and that sucker has helped me make enough milk for twins.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 9:46 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yes, I'm almost 19 weeks pregnant. I thought I put it in the 0-12 month catagory, sorry.

Thanks for all of the advice. I'll look into each resource.

I don't have a pump yet or anything really. We found out we are having a girl today so now we're comfortable really doing the shopping and research that goes into having another baby. We lost the last three babies so we've been a little nervous.

Thanks again for the advice!
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• good luck mama!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I would make sure to utilize the hospital staff that can help you while you are there. Also get a nipple shield it will help the baby latch and relieve stress on your nipples from the friction. Most of all don't give up and keep trying. There is a great bfing group here to check out for great tips and advice. You can do it mama!
    jillrebecca3

Answer by jillrebecca3 at 12:04 AM on Dec. 7, 2010