Shingles..

I first had them almost a year ago to date and all of a sudden my right side started hurting just like before, but seems to be from the front of my right side to the back and I am wondering can you get shingles more than once?? It really hurts and I am just getting over a cold but the way the pain came on so intense and fast I don't think it is the cold.

Korysmom96

Asked by Korysmom96 at 9:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Health

• Yes you can get them more than once. I had them while I was pregnant and put purell on the spot and it dried it out in a week. I used this method b/c I couldn't' take the antivirals that they wanted to prescribe.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• yes you can...I feel bad for both of you:( I heard its so painful. My mom has had them 3 times.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Unfortunately, you can get it more than once. From what I understand it will not infect the same nerve band more than once. My grandmother had them at least twice during my lifetime. I had them a few months before my wedding nearly 17 yrs ago. Not fun.

I hope that it is just phantom pain and that you feel better soon.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Shingles is a skin rash caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox. This virus is called the Varicella zoster virus (VZV) and is in the herpes family of viruses. After an individual has chickenpox, this virus lives dormant in the nervous system and is never fully cleared from the body.
    . Shingles, too, could potentially cause problems for your baby, but most experts agree the risk is less than with chickenpox. In one large study, there was no evidence of fetal harm in women who developed shingles.
    If you're not sure if you have had chickenpox, your doctor can perform a blood test to check for antibodies to VZV. If you have the antibodies (indicating you have already had chickenpox infection), you run the risk of shingles in the future, but you cannot catch shingles from someone else.
    Anidawehiwahya

Answer by Anidawehiwahya at 9:56 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yes, shingles is contagious. Shingles can be spread from an affected person to children or adults who have not had chickenpox. But instead of developing shingles, these people develop chickenpox. Once they have had chickenpox, people cannot catch shingles (or contract the virus) from someone else. Once infected, however, people have the potential to develop shingles later in life.
    Anidawehiwahya

Answer by Anidawehiwahya at 9:57 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I feel for you. My father and my late mother in law had shingles and it was so painfull for them.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 10:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2010