my two wk old always congested at night time, what can i do to help him breath better?

I have the vicks warm humidfier on all night to keep the room warm, but he often have stuffy nose or sounds all congested and making a lot of noises at night. What can I do to help him breath better?

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 9:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• do you have pets?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• sit in the bath room with a hot shower running! it will help!! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Whatever you do, do not put anything in his bed to elevate him.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 9:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I'd get a wedge to prop his mattress up at night. It will help him a lot! just a slight incline though
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I always put books under one end of the crib, under the legs, to elevate his head. That way you are not compromising the safety of the bed by putting something under the mattress. Always worked with my kids.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• no pets.
    Amy2079

Comment by Amy2079 (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Is he snorty? Lots of babies are noisy sleepers. Do you have a bulb syringe to suck his nose out? Most hospitals send one home with your baby on discharge. You could get infant saline drops and suck his nose out at night before you put in down. Ask your pedi though- 2 weeks is young-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• maybe a really good dusting of the house one day. let someone watch him at their house for a while and scrub walls, baseboards, and ceiling fans. That seem to help with my son. We got rid of the pets, used a humidifier and nothig worked, finally when i scrubbed everything it helped Sometimes you don't realize how dusty your house is.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 9:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Keeping the dust down will help. But to lay him in his crib at night, and to put vicks on his feet with socks, also on his chest and back. And be sure clean out his nose with the bulb atleast twice a day or more.
    I've been there before, it's more about containing the cold so it doesn't get worse. Watch for signs of difficulty breathing, I'm not trying to worry you but it could turn into RSV or some other cold virus. Be sure to watch for the signs and bring up to the doctor if the breathing doesn't get better. Good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:17 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• are you breastfeeding?
    if a good cleaning and dusting doesn't help, you may want to check your diet or formula.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 6, 2010