Kindergarten DD wet her pants in class for the first time I can remember.......

My DD started Kindergarten in August. She does great and really enjoys going. Today her teacher called me an hour prior to pick up to tell me my DD had had an accident (wet her pants). I was so surprised and immediately felt horrible for DD. The teacher went on to explain that no one else knew, Dd was crying and refused to chaange into a pair of pants the school had on hand and it might be best if I came to pick her up. I immediately packed up the other kiddos and was out the door in 10 minutes. I can't even remember the last time she wet her pants! And she stays dry at night. I don't know if she just got so busy and the bathroom was occupied (they were having "Quiet, Free, Choice and she was playing computers and she said the in classroom bathroom was occupied) that it happened or what!
Is it semi-common for a Kindregartener to have a fluke potty accident?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes, I did (though not at kindergarten but I was that age in a church program). It happens, they just get into what they are doing and don't think to go until it's to late.
    At least you didn't yell at her for doing it.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• It is for a lot of them. My grandson had the hardest time. He was still having occaisional accidents in the first part of first grade. I thought it was because he would wait too long playing. What I later learned was he was uncomfortable in the boys bathroom because others could see him at the urinal. We made a plan that he could go to the nurses office to potty. Problem solved. Not one accident since. Some kids just take a longer time. Our school requirres all student through 1st grade to have a complete change of clothes in their backpack at all times because of this.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My son is also in kindergarten and has had 2-3 accidents since school started. I can't even remember the last time he had an accident either before school started. I figure they just get busy playing or concentrating that they just forget to get up and go. His teacher said it's quite common for that age so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just tell her it's okay and that these things happen sometimes. GL

jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 10:06 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Personal experiance says every child is different. my ex's son was potty trained completely but lazier that you'll believe to the point that if he was at all occupied he'd go right there in his pants, just because, where as other children never have accidents, but if she was holding it for awhile being preoccupied and then finally going to a busy bathroom, accidents happen. It is mortifying. I STILL remember when I had an accident in kindergarten, same thing, was playing, finally got the chance to go potty was busy. It happens, its embarrassing, but you got her from school and thats the important part, you saved the day so-to-speak. You came to her rescue. It happens at one point or another in every childs life, whether in school or at home while sick. That's why they call it an accident....it'll be ok, just talk to her and make sure it doesn't hurt or anything, she may have a Urinary Tract infection.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 10:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My hubby just said that he farted and pooped himself in kindergarten and he never told anyone! He went the whole day with poop in his pants...lol! Sorry i thought i would share that with you.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 10:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I volunteer in a kindergarten class almost every single day and it is quite common for the kindergartners to wet themselves. There is always that little one that has a hard time holding it and everyone know who she is. But there are little ones that just as you suspected get busy, wait to long and then can not get into a bathroom. Most often they do not make any attempt to let a teacher no because thinking that there might be another bathroom or somewhere else to go is not in their realm of thinking. I wouldn't worry to much about it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Our teacher told us to expect it. She said "even if they've NEVER had an accident before". They all have a change of clothes there, also.

There could be so many reasons. Engrossed in playing, stressed (in a good or bad way) about school itself or social aspects (bully or new friend) demands of a full day schedule... for us, it was that we had to ask to use the bathroom, and I was way too shy to raise my hand for that. Or they could have a really busy day and just no time for it.

She may be embarrassed and not want to tell you why. But it may well only happen once. I'd think you wouldn't want to worry unless it happens multiple times.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:14 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Our youngest did that too last yr in kindergarten. Don't feel bad Momma, just give her lots og hugs, and let her know it's okay.
    Our son was so shy, and was afraid to say anything to the Teacher, and then had an accident. He had a friend in class that taught him how to say pee in sign language, and from then on he would go to the Teacher and show her (she knew of course since I emailed her previous to him going back to school). It helped so much, she was so sweet to him, and he never had a problem after that.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:16 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• It's pretty common. She was probably just so involved in her activity that she didn't stop to use the bathroom.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:01 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My FIRST grader just had that happen for the first time the other day... he just waited too long and then had a hard time geting the button etc. and oops it slipped out. It happens, its okay.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2010