baby food? make or buy?

i am wondering does making your own baby food really save money? i love the mixed gerber food for my son and well i couldnt make that? i could do the single or just mixed fruit or veggies but with rice cereal and oatmeal. i know it would be better for him since i could pick the best looking stuff to use. is it worth it?

mamajennie31010

Asked by mamajennie31010 at 10:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Holy cow it saves you so much money and is easy to do. I have always made my kids food in large batches. I would put them in ice cube trays and freeze them. Then when they started eating we would use one cube and as they got bigger I knew to grab two cubes to defrost or 3. I used mostly frozen veggies, lots of apples, sweet potatoes. They are all so easy to make. Then when they got bigger I would actually take our meals and put them in the food processor to eat that way.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:19 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• It definately saves you money, my first born used to throw up like she got a stomache virus when she ate gerber food so I started making it at home in the blender no fancy food processor needed. It worked out so well with her I did the same thing with my other kids and will with this one too.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 10:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• i pretty much ebf for about 8 months, and when we do start solids, i just mash down what the family is having. i add water if needed.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• hmmmm how do you defrost? sorry if dump question. and i dont have either blender or food processor i know weird but yea...
    mamajennie31010

Comment by mamajennie31010 (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Making it yourself would save you so much and really doesn't take that much time or effort. It is so easy to do and like Melbornj said, just throw it in ice cube trays and freeze it. Once you do this, you will wonder why you were wasting your money on boughten food.

tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• been feeding him rice cereal and oatmeal since 4 months while breastfeeding to help him gain weight.
    mamajennie31010

Comment by mamajennie31010 (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• i make mine, i picked up a food proccessor at god will for 5$ when my 4 year old was a baby and its aobut to be used for a 3rd. if you think about it, you make veggies for inner every night anyway, why not puree some before seasoning, and fruits are easy too. and its no where neer 50 cents for a 3oz jar.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• So worth it. Wait til baby is actually ready for food (no earlier than 6 months) then just steam and mash the veggies and food you are eating. I never bought baby food for my son.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yeah, get a good food processor. You can combine fruits and veggies too.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:48 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• my son is 9 months. been eating foods since 5ish months because the dr wanted him to gain weight.... thats a whole nother story LOL
    mamajennie31010

Comment by mamajennie31010 (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Dec. 7, 2010