If a very popular idea gets shelved, is there danger of giving it away?

I have worked very hard on a letter of interest that has been approved by others in the department, but shelved by my boss. There are whispers about retrentment, and the tenures are very upset about this. (There has been already a workforce reduction of 15%, a 90 day hiring freeze, two department have been cut and there's more talk about further cutbacks (the retrentment).

The deadline is tomorrow, but the next deadline is the first Tuesday of June. I know by then I would most likely be working some where else.

I'm feeling very spiteful right now.

Would giving my idea to another business that could really benefit from it, would this be a danger for me or a job potential strategy? 

Thanks

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 10:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• It could hurt you, especially if you get a reputation for sharing secrets. You could end up being blacklisted in your field.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:06 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• It depends on what sort of contract you have. Did you sign anything that said you can not share ideas with anyone else?
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 10:29 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Be very careful in this area- most business consider any work created by their employees during their tenure to be company property. If you submit the same idea to another company, they can come after you as a breech of contract.

Remember Bratz? lol This is an example to the extreme, but in reality, the very same idea.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2010