Does organic or not really make a difference?

I have alot of friends who only do organic because they say it has less sugar, but we don't have a whole foods or organic store around here. It's hard to get that stuff where I live. Does it really make that big of a difference?

usdragonflies

Asked by usdragonflies at 10:32 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Food & Drink

• As far as I know, organic has nothing to do with sugar content. Organic is a way of raising plant foods without pesticides or genetic modification. There is no doubt organic food is healthier for you, although I don't think there is much agreement on how much of a difference it makes in your health overall (many believe it makes a huge difference, others not so much). THere's a lot of conflict over whether or not organic farming is sustainable and can produce enough food to deal with the consumption need. Personally, I haven't done a lot of research on it. I have heard there is a list of 10 or 11 foods that are the best to get organic because otherwise they are the ones that use the most pesticides.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:37 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I have read several articles. Milk, Meat, Eggs are shown to be the most beneficial to go organic..
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:17 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• We do organic meat and eggs since we hunt deer and buy or cows from an organic farm in our town. Thanks for the info though. I didn't know that about the milk.
    usdragonflies

Comment by usdragonflies (original poster) at 11:20 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• It's best to go organic with anything with fat. Pesticides tend to be stored in fat, so butter, eggs, meat, milk, etc, are really good for going organic. There are the Dirty Dozen with produce, which have the highest measured levels of pesticides or worst pesticides used for growing:
    Celery
    Peaches (any stone fruit)
    Strawberries
    Apples
    Blueberries
    Nectarines
    Bell Peppers
    Spinach
    Kale
    Cherries
    Potatoes
    Grapes
    The nutrient content can be higher in organic foods, because of the growing methods. There is no change in sugar content (in fact, you can get organic sugar). If you're interested in reducing your sugar content, try eating clean. See my journal for info on that- it's how we eat. http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1633959/What_is_Clean_Eating (my "use full editor" is doing weird things, so just copy and paste).
    Many regular stores are starting to carry organic foods, and farmer's ma
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Here's a helpful website, if you're interested in doing a little research: http://www.organic.org/
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• If you grow your own veggies and fruit (as practical for you) they can all be organic if you choose to go that route.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 10:00 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• i heard its better to eat organic foods....my brother is a health nut and thatsall he eats lol.....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 10:25 AM on Dec. 7, 2010