How much food should my dog be eating daily?

For years he was about 40 pounds, but last time he was at the vet he weighed about 44 pounds. After that I became more conscious of how much food I was giving him. I think he's a shepherd mix. The dogfood bag says he should be getting 3 cups of food a day. I think he's still hungry and it seems like 3 cups isn't enough food. He's really hard to walk so it's hard to get out with him. His only exercise is to run around the backyard (which isn't that big) for a few minutes.

zboys

Asked by zboys at 10:33 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Pets

• Really ANON!???!!! I feed my two huge dogs twice a day about a cup and a half each. They are healthy weight. Your dog is probably just midle aged and gaining like the rest of us couch potatoes.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My dog is about that weight and it seems he is eating all the time! I usually fill his bowl up once a day.. he eats it over the course of the day. He does get scraps from time to time though. And he is still always hungry.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I heard a cup twice a day.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yup three cups is plenty for him, Additionally walks are so important.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 10:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• We used to feed ours 4 cups a day but spaced it out to 2 meals so it wasn't all at once. If he's not getting a walk he will gain weight even if your feeding him right. It might even be the kind of food you are feeding. Oh and your not stupid...I don't see why people have to be so rude or mean...
    sandrab2011

Answer by sandrab2011 at 10:41 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My family has 5 dogs in all. We put down a bowl of dry food in the morning and just leave it. They eat when hungry. All of them are a healthy weight. They too have just small backyard to run in.
    JuneBug1985

Answer by JuneBug1985 at 11:32 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I did read the bag and she did not read my paragraph.
    zboys

Comment by zboys (original poster) at 10:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• It's best to measure the food, not just leave it out. For a 40 pound dog, one cup in the morning and one cup in the evening. ( I also have a 40 lb. dog) Feed a high quality food like Avoderm, Blue Buffalo, Tate of the Wild, etc. If I left my food out all day, my dogs would eat until they exploded... It also creates a picky eater.
    miatagirl

Answer by miatagirl at 3:28 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Maybe try switching to a higher quality food with lots of real meat and no fillers/byproducts like corn/wheat/soy. I feed mine Taste of the Wild and my 40lb dog eats 2 cups/day (1 in the morning and 1 at night). That is plenty of food for him. He never acts like he is hungry between feedings. He holds his weight well and he is CRAZY active.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 10:10 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I know they say you shouldn't but I just fill up the bowls and leave them and both my dogs are very healthy weights. I think they eat when they're hungry and stop when they're full. If they started gaining too much, I would stick to the bag guidelines, just personally.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:43 AM on Dec. 7, 2010