how can I become more connected with my daughter

she is ten but has an attitude of a teenager - she never wants to hang out with me unless it means shopping for her. I just feel so distant from her - any ideas?

Tonesgirl

Asked by Tonesgirl at 10:41 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Maybe you can take her for an all girl weekend of bonding. Have her do little girl things, to keep her young: pottery place, skating, ice skating, bowling.......
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I don't have girls, I have boys and I do things like window shopping, going out to dinner or ice cream, bowling or even just movies at home. I would think that maybe going to get your nails painted, or the pottery place or even bowling would be a good way to connect and start talking.
    I work full time - but when I get home I always ask them how their day was and what happened. I give them a little low down on my day and then we talk about what sounds good for dinner. Last night I brought pizza home, and we watched a football game and then they helped decorate the tree. I'm not a big sports fan, but I watch with them so I can talk about it and they enjoy educating me. My boys and I have a really good bond, and I believe its because I take an interest in the things they enjoy and give them room to talk about their thoughts and ideas on anything, even if I disagree I always listen.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 5:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Would it be possible to have a mommy daughter sleepover w/ just her? Like, camp out in the living room together & watch her favorite movies, or introduce an old favorite you liked when you were a kid? You can paint each other's nails & giggle over Justin Bieber together. ;) Another good ideaR would be to whip out old family albums of when she was a baby, a little girl, before she was born, of you when you were her age.... tell her your memories and stories about the pictures. Tell her how close you felt to her then and how you want to continue to feel that way always. Maybe you could even scrapbook pictures together. It'd be fun to have a hobby that you share. My SD is nine going on ten &I have her scrapbooking w/me. She used to hole up in her room, but now she begs me to scrapbook every night. Best of all, it lets her express herself. Nothing is off limits. She even scraps pics of BM and I help her journal her memories. GL!!
    sarahtessa

Answer by sarahtessa at 11:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• All you can do is be a parent at this point, save the girl bonding for when she gets past this stage.

Answer by older at 8:25 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Maybe find something she may be interested in, like my girls and I ran a 5k the other day and they loved it. It isnt about wining its about being together and its for a good cause.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 10:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2010