What is the CafeMom Encyclopedia?

When is it the right time?

When is the perfect time to take a pregnancy test. I have no idea how the work even if I take my time and read the instructions. I totally understand what the instructions are asking, but the hard part is my period; its very irregular. It mostly comes around the 26th, 27th and 28th day. So I really dont know what to do at this point. Help a young girl out.

EndlessM

Asked by EndlessM at 10:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• A week after a missed period is the best time
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I found out I was pregnant about a week after conception...if you're worried/excited, then there's no harm in taking one now. Just realize there are RARELY FALSE POSITIVES, but false negatives depend on how much HGC or whatever is in your urine. I'd recommend buying dollar store pregnancy tests, they are cheap and very accurate. They were recommended on several TTC/Pregnancy websites I visited when I wasn't sure.
    Nawti

Answer by Nawti at 11:29 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Every test is slightly different. Most tests are accurate on the first day of your missed period. For women with irregular periods, test after a week.

The test should have a chart on the side panel of the box that says the number of days to or past your missed period and the % accuracy in reading a positive.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:33 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• it needs to be done first when you wake up. wait a few more days.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 11:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Go from the LONGEST cycle you have. If your period has never been more than 28 days apart, then test one week after the 28th day. Buy tests from the dollar tree, they work fine and are harder to screw up....if you pee too much on one of the stick kind, it floods it lol. The dollar tree ones are a cassette test with a urine well - you'll want a disposable cup to pee in. It comes with a dropper, you add 4 drops of pee into the well then just wait. One line means it's negative, two means it's positive. If it's positive, go see a doctor to start prenatal care. If it's negative, just wait another week. if your period doesn't start, test again. If it's still negative, go see a doctor, there may be something else wrong. Good luck.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 11:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yeah, wait a few more days and do it first thing in the morning.

Answer by older at 7:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• A week after missed period and the first thing in the morning.

Answer by older at 1:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I waited 10 days after missed period.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:38 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I've always taken dollar store tests because I can take more than one and am very very impatient. Some people tell me that dollar store tests don't work for them though. I've had positives with dollar store tests as early as 3 weeks pregnant.
    HeartsCombined

Answer by HeartsCombined at 11:16 AM on Dec. 16, 2010