Any ideas for something fun to do at a women's retreat?

Crafts/ games???? My mind is blank. These women are older. Children grown... They love to play games and make crafts... HELP..... PLease be nice and keep it clean. Thank you

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 11:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Make dream catchers
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• How about Bingo or Poker?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:02 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Mani/pedis and massages (if you can afford to bring someone in), scrap booking, quilting, making collages, card games are always fun. How many women?
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:09 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I would have one or two craft ideas that are simple but could be elaborated, with materials and instructions ready, so everyone could participate. Maybe making photo frames? With lots of materials so they could be as simple or elaborate as you'd like.

Also, this is not really answering your question, but one thing I love to do at get-togethers this time of year is serve up some good wine or hot chocolate, and sit around writing letters of support to people unfairly imprisoned around the world - Amnesty International can provide you with names and addresses. It can really make a huge difference to these people to know that the world has not forgotten them.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 10:04 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• As an icebreaker game, play bingo where the squares have things like "born in another state," "plays the piano," "married longer than 25 years," "has more than 5 children," "has blue eyes," etc. Then give everyone about 15 minutes to walk around and ask people to sign the block that fits them. The person who gets the most blocks signed wins. We've done this at a couple of things I've been to and it's a lot of fun.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Have them make crafted silver boxes. Everyone draws a name from a hat, then have them each decorate a silver box which is their creative vision of what makes the person they drew special. They can then give their silver box to whomevers name they drew. Silver boxes was originally an activity my mom came up with at my school where she had her students pass around a decorated silver box while saying something encouraging to the person they were giving it to. It was amazing how much one small word of kindness could change peoples entire weeks. This is my craft oriented take on it. I think it would be a great way to forge a strong bond and share peoples creativity as well as a memorable keepsake.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 2:29 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• fyi this is where her idea came from

Silver Boxes
    Poem My words were harsh & hasty
    And they came without a thought.
    Then I saw the pain & anguish
    That my bitter words had brought. Bitter words that I had spoken
    Made me think back through the past;
    Of how many times I'd uttered
    Biting words whose pain would last. Then I wondered of the people
    I had hurt by things I'd said;
    All the ones I had discouraged
    When I didn't use my head. Then I thought about my own life
    Of painful words I've heard;
    And of the times I'd been discouraged
    By a sharp and cruel word. And now clearly I remember
    All the things I might have done;
    But, by a word I was discouraged
    And they never were begun. So, help my words be silver boxes,
    Neatly wrapped up with a bow;
    That I give to all so freely,
    As through each day I gladly go. Silver boxes full of treasure,
    Precious gifts from abo
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 2:30 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• contd
    Might have a silver box of love
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 2:31 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Night Owl...love this idea!! Thank you for sharing!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:50 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• If you have access to a microwave, large sink and an iron, you could make tie-dyed silk scarves using Fiber Reactive Dye, vinegar, Ziplock bags, cotton twine and inexpensive silk scarfbalnks. The microwave steaming process only takes about three minutes and the scarves can be washed in the sink quickly and ironed dry. PM me for more information if this sounds interesting to you.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 1:00 PM on Dec. 8, 2010