stepmom parent rights

do any of you have parent rights cause your married to your step kids father and the kid lives with you and their dad , so much plays into this ,

letstalk747

Asked by letstalk747 at 11:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think my husband has more rights then the bio dad but that is only because he has been in their lives 24/7 for 7 yrs now and their bio dad has squat. Actually my husband is being held accountable for a medical bill that my daughter and is only his step daughter but the state sees him as a legal and binding parent and can be pursued to pay this bill
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:30 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I am one who believes that step parenting is the hardest role ever. But I also think that a step parent should not be parenting. At least not in most cases. While this is not popular with many stepmoms...it helps create a more positive boundary where everyone knows their role. If I am ever a step parent then I see myself as friend, confidant, and a person to ensure safety. That is about it. My step children would already have parents who can discipline. If they did something while with me I would first ensure their safety, remove myself of them from the situation, and make it known I will speak to their father about the situation. How their father decides to discipline is his business - because it is his child. If he consults his ex wife I would applaud it. If he consulted me I would give some suggestions but not expect him to use them.  And he would not discipline my son.  I will.  Good boundaries = a good marriage.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:40 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My fiance' has been in my dd's life since she was a baby, she can't remember when he wasn't. Her dad was hardly around and then he went into the Army and now he is never around, so she sees my fiance' as her daddy. However my case is, I think, somewhat unusual. In cases where both parents are around, I think the step mother (and step father) should be more like a babysitter. Yes they can desiplin but only in ways that both parents agree upon and only the parents make the rules. I also feel (and this is the way it works in my state) that the spouse of the non custodial parent should only we watching the children (without their spouse I mean) during the visitation if the custodial parent is not available to watch them as that time. For example, if the father has to work during his visit, his wife can only watch the kids if the mother can't take them (like she is at work or something too).
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:23 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• my hubby and his xwife didnt speak to eachother and i picked up my stepdaughter every weekend dropped her off every weekend did all the parental things with her. her mother went to prison and my hubby and i became sole providers for her she lived in our home we bought her the essentials for living so how is it that you feel that step parents shouldn't have rights and be allowed to dicipline to a point time outs punishments etc..
    momofalltrades

Answer by momofalltrades at 8:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2010