Do you think a fair tax would be fair?

Is there any tax that is fair to all? Some seem to think their would still be so called loopholes but it can't be worse than what we now have and everyone  would be contributing not just some.

tony1638

Asked by tony1638 at 11:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I like the fair tax system that's based on a consumption tax, not income, and no, I don't believe food should be taxable. I read the book a couple of years ago...and the math works out really well, with everyone paying in some. So, if you buy a TV= pay fed government taxes. No IRS... I like it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:14 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I would very much like to see a "fair tax" proposal, any improvement over what we have now, I think most of us would welcome. There are so many people who evade the system and apparently many get away with doing so. When I hear about those who owe $14,000 or ???, they get an attorney, only have to pay 200.00 and walk away, that really makes me angry, it's not fair! And we wind up paying it for them, one way or another; if they made the money, pay the darn taxes, geez!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:08 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I too would like to see a fair or flat tax to REPLACE the current federal and state income tax laws! Seriously, if you only earn $20,000 per year your should NOT be maxing out credit cards, you SHOULD be living within your means and would have at your disposal a number of government subsidies to assist you. And those who make more, would be spending more and all of that money would go towards government programs and subsidies. The more money people have in their pockets, the more they tend to spend--which goes to stimulating the economy!! EVERYONE contributing, means EVERYONE has a vested interest in how their tax money is spent, and would lead to EVERYONE demanding more from their elected officials!

As for the flat tax (income) as a PERCENTAGE of income--ie: 10% of TAXABLE income--someone making $20k would only pay $2k/year, whereas someone making $200k would pay $20k/year!

Those are CHANGES I can believe in!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:38 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I am for the fair tax law .. and yes it would work.
    Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 12:17 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Who decides what is "fair"?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:00 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I really like the idea that everybody is invested in our government. I think more people would pay attention when it matters most.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:09 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I like the idea of a fair tax but I am not sure it would work. It would be fair depending on how it is implemented but I am sure the government would screw it up some how. Besides I am a marketer/accounting person not a economist so I am not knowledgeable of how things work!
    Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 12:06 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Let's not confuse a Flat Tax and a Fair Tax. The two are NOT the same.
    Even with Fair and Flat Tax issues, I have seen studies that prove every American will pay more with those programs.
    Is that Fair? Depends on who you ask and where you live.
    I agree with a Low Flat Tax of 5%, closing loopholes, and Implementing a State only Sales Tax of 10% that keeps all the money in the state. the percentages will go up with the higher costs of living.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:54 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I think it depends on what "fair" is too. 10% with no deductions would mean my family ends up paying more than $60,000 when more than $350,000 of that would be paid out in business expenses. I wouldn't keep working for that low of a salary for myself. I would close or sell.

The system does need an overhaul though.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:25 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Fair? Whats fair? Everyone has their own idea of what fair is or isn't. I'm for a flat tax with no deductions, food not taxed just as it isn't taxed now. I'd be open to a bottom amount where people would have a reduced tax amount or even possibly not be taxed at all. It ll depends on how it's set up and administered. I am totally not afraid to scrap the whole system we have now.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:25 AM on Dec. 7, 2010