why don't obs want to do water births?

I had a midwife and had dd in a big whirlpool tub. About half of the other moms I've talked to have said that their ob wouldn't do a waterbirth. What is the big deal? The water actually helped me deal with the pain alot better. Has child birth gotten so standardized that obs just want a table and a knife now? I'm so glad I had a midwife, and if I ever have another baby I'm going back to her!

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 12:01 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would prefer a different way to deal with the pain. My baby was my first concern. The SAFETY of the baby and the birth is more important than MY pain or My childbirth experience. Maybe Doctors do not feel a water birth is safe for all Moms and babies? I go with the judgement of the Doctor who has a degree......
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:07 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• They don't like their lives complicated at all. They push for inductions and the like, and most won't even allow different positions for birth because it's easier for them to see everything if you're on your back with your feet up. Their comfort and the like is top priority, plus they're in a hospital and hospitals have rules about birth, too. OBs are surgeons, not trained to attend natural births. I may sound like I've just had a bad experience (which I have), but my thoughts have always been like this, since I was a kid and started learning about birth.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:09 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Cont:
    I had three children. I was so grateful to be in a hospital for all three. NO KNIFE. LOL. WHat the heck???
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:09 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Oh and if OBs were so concerned with safety, why do they push inductions which are harder not only on the mother, but also on the baby? Why do some push for C-sections that may not be necessary (emergency C-sections are a totally different story)? Safety is NOT their top priority. Covering their own asses and making things as simple and stream lined as possible IS. My last OB/GYN even told me these things (she's worked in 4 states and in other countries, over the past 25 years, so I trust her on that). She confirmed that pretty much everything that you heard about OBs on the documentary The Business of Being Born is absolutely true of the majority of OBs. She said that if she hadn't started going to places like Africa and attending some births (which were all at home), she wouldn't have even known what a normal, natural birth looked like, and the same is true for most OBs.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:13 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Midwives have degrees to kerp! In fact in most states they have MULTIPLE degrees and medical school training. They also have MUCH better outcomes than OBGYNs.

They don't do it because the ACOG has not approved it as a safe birthing method DESPITE the OVERWHELMING evidence that water births are perfectly safe and possible safer than giving birth the supine position.

Tradtionally doctors have you lay on your back or in the stirup position which has been SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN to be the WORST position to give birth in since it LITERALLY makes the pelvis smaller. That position leads to c-sections and complications during delivery but it's used because it's convienant.

Also birthing experiences ARE important. It's quite ignorant to assume that choosing to have a good birth experience equals a dangerous choice. These things can and DO go hand in hand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I know its crazy and unfair. IMO it needs to go back to the days of having midwifes and only have hospital births when its an emergency. This oh i cant have a natural birth because im scared of the pain is nonsense. Yes it does hurt a little, but its sposed to and if your not prepared for that then dont have kids.

Both of my sons came early, so i was forced into doing it the doctors way, and i was young (didnt know any different, my fault). WIth my daughter I almost had her at home. I labored at home and drove myself to the hospital.

Ladies you DO have a choice as to how you want your delivery to be. Research and make the best choice you can for yourself.
    Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 12:14 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I think the water is more likely to cause infection in the va ja ja.....but I've seen water births and they seem like they would be relaxing then the typical birthing room.
    tracylyn245

Answer by tracylyn245 at 12:18 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• A waterbirth in a clean water tub is LESS likely to cause infection than a gloved hand being inserted into the vagina for vaginal checks and delivery.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I will admitt I did get an infecyion after dd was born. But I was able to get it cleared up with a few good cleanings. I would think a natural water birth would be a lot safer than a hospital medicated birth! And midwives have extensive training, and most midwives do more births than obs because they only deal with pregnant women.
    jedwards2009

Comment by jedwards2009 (original poster) at 12:25 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Generally, OBs are not too supportive of natural birthing. They prefer to manage labors. This is evident through statistics (as an American I am referring to US standards).
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:34 AM on Dec. 7, 2010