What happened to the Milkscreen Test Strips bu UpSpring??

Has anyone been using the Milkscreen strips by Upspring, used to detect alcohol in breastmilk? I thought these were a great tool when I wanted the occasional glass of wine... I went to purchase them at Babies R Us and they no longer carry them! After a bit of research, I found Target no longer carries them either. Does anyone know what happened? Just curious-

msparklym13

Asked by msparklym13 at 12:27 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No idea... but if you're just having a glass of wine, don't worry about it. If you're having more, just wait until you'd be willing to drive your kids somewhere.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:44 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• i've seen them at walmart and rite aid. so maybe check at your local drugstore. but i've heard that you should wait 2 hours before nursing for every glass of wine you have so if you're just having a single glass of wine, i'd go with that rule.
    momma_gig

Answer by momma_gig at 12:54 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Those tests are unreliable. One drink per hour...
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 4:43 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• One of the moms, I believe from the Breastfeeding group, tried one just for kicks, when she was pregnant, and hadn't had a drink in months, and it came up positive. So I wouldn't trust them. My rule? One to two drinks, nurse. Any more then that, wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing again.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:52 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• The milkscreen test is actually being re-designed for improved readability and the company is selling through it's existing inventory before it puts the new version on the market.

The problem with just using the 'one hour' rule of thumb is that every mom's metabolism is different. Size, weight, food intake, and tolerance are all variables that should be taken into consideration.

I am not sure why it would come up as a false positive, but definitely you want to check the expiration date on the packaging to make sure it is not expired before you use it. Also, you have to read the test within the allotted time ( within 2 minutes after applying the breast milk) or the results are not reliable.
    Amanda_Upspring

Answer by Amanda_Upspring at 9:38 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My first thought was that someone figured out that those strips are merely a way to separate moms from their money. Simple rule that costs you nothing: Safe to drive, safe to nurse.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:19 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• You should be fine if you're only having one glass of wine.
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 3:09 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• After searching for this product and not finding it anywhere anymore accept Amazon (for twice the price), I did some research and most sources say if you have 1 drink it shouldn't change your nursing schedule. As a chemist, I don't think there is any reason not to trust these strips, UNLESS they are outdated. I've "tested" outdated ones and had to toss them cause I got false negatives. I think they are awesome! But back to the point... is there any ETA on the new strips? I can't seem to find any info on that. I really hope it is soon, since I won't actually be nursing forever!
    GalliumGirl

Answer by GalliumGirl at 9:45 PM on Jan. 1, 2011