Has any one had a high paying, high responsibility job and just gave it up to stay-at-home?

I have put in over 16yrs in the military and I am having my 4th child. I am honestly at a point where I feel like why?? Why stay in and work my butt off, see my kids so little, and miss the important things in life? I have been deployed a couple of times, I am in charge of younger folks who really make the job worth it but suck the energy out of me. Ugh. To retire at my particular rank etc I have to put in 9.5 more years of service in. I am just not sure it's in me.

I duno anyone taking the plunge and just changed careers? Or stayed at home? Any regrets suggestions?

Camilletnt

Asked by Camilletnt at 12:35 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• I ETS'ed out of the Army last year after my second enlistment. 2 deployments, one to Iraq and one to Afghan and had reached my E-5 my first 4 years in. I had my daughter 3 months after I got out and I really dont like being a SAHM at all, but I dont know what I would have done not being to see her milestones and being with her everyday. In the end I made the right choice for my daughter, but not for me. I loved being n the Army. At least DH is still in, I can live vicariously (SP?) through him =) lol
    SierraLynn

Answer by SierraLynn at 12:42 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• That is an interesting situation. You should weigh the options and talk it over with your family if you choose to stay in the military consider changing your MOS. Goodluck with whatever decision you make.
    rebock

Answer by rebock at 12:49 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I would never consider it to be throwing anything away. I have no regrets.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:37 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• No regrets is good. I didn't mean throwing it away as a negative comment. I mean just let it go... that's what I want to do. My more frugal mind says.. say at least 3.5 yrs and get some sort of retirement. thank you for input.
    Camilletnt

Comment by Camilletnt (original poster) at 12:49 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I stayed home after my third child was born. It was hard in the beginning because I didn't know many stay at home moms and I missed the interaction of adults. As I started meeting other moms, I loved being home and I would never change it. I started my own business and now I work when I want. I am also lucky enough to have a husband that has a good and is able to support all of us.

Just know no matter what you decide at times you will second guess yourself and there is nothing wrong with that, just remember why you made the decisions you have made.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:50 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I think that is probably the reality. I have to remind myself why it is I do what I do.. always hard when you look at your children and think.. could I be better for them, could I give them more? I think I'll wait until after the pregnancy hormones and stuff settle to see how I feel. At this moment I know I would make a very emotional based response. Thank you.
    Camilletnt

Comment by Camilletnt (original poster) at 12:59 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I left a wonderful career 12 years ago to devote time to my family and go back to school; I have never regretted even one second of it. I look at where we are today and know that it was the right choice.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:18 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I don't want to say that I had a 'high' paying job, but I had a good job with great hours and I gave it up to stay home with the kids. I have a girlfriend who is a pharmacist and she left to be a SAHM. She was making $60/hour, but couldn't stand the thought of not being with her 3 kids while they were little. She doesn't have a single regret about it either, she keeps her licence and continuing education up so that when she's ready to go back to work she can.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:35 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I worked at my last job for only 6 yrs but I was making awesome money! I chose to quit to stay home and raise my children. It was hard to adjust to not having all that extra money, but I was the oneraising my kids and not someone else. There was alot to think about w/ that decision and alot of changes. I do miss the money and at time got a bit depressed because it wasn't there. There are alot of different things you can do to make extra money and still be home w/ them. Good luck to you on what you decide!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 11:34 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I stay home because I was laid off. I would never have made that choice for myself. I'm the type of person that needs and identity that's seperate from being mom and wife.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:55 PM on Dec. 7, 2010