Moist canned food or dry food

How much do you give your cat? I grew up with cats and they were outside cats only. I gave them dry food most of the time and once in awhile gave them moist food. Adopted a outside cat in our apt complex who comes and sleeps inside at night. I give her 1/2 can of food in the am and the other in the pm. I have dry food always out for her to eat whenever. Is that too much food? It seems with Dogs, it's different. They eat once a day and that's it.

4theloveofTink

Asked by 4theloveofTink at 12:59 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Pets

• We feed our cat when he is hungry. He is a healthy body weight for his age. We only feed him dry cat food, he will not eat the pre-moistened kind.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:01 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I started my cat out on moist food, he was such a brat and used to jump on counters to get to people food. My dd did the most amazing thing ever, she got me to buy him dry food and he took to it. He hasnt tried to eat people food since. But back to your question. I give him about a fist full of dry in the am and then a fist full of dry when I get home from work. He is four and a half. The only problem I can see with you leaving dry food outside, is that it might attract other cats or animals. The moist food sounds like its more then enough for one cat so you dont need the extra dry. What a nice thing for you to do for a stray...
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:21 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• LOL That's how this all got started......was me leaving dry food outside for her and she kept coming back. So i slowly invited her in the apt a little at a time each day and now she sleeps inside all night. We even got her a cat box too. If you look on Petfinder and look at Bobtails and the info about them........THAT'S HER! The pic could be her twin! LOL
    4theloveofTink

Comment by 4theloveofTink (original poster) at 1:26 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Best is about a half a cup in the morning and evening. If you leave the food out all the time, cats will eat and eat until they get chubby. I only feed dry food, as it it better for their teeth. Also, stay away from grocery store brand foods. Very unhealthy for your pets! If you love your pets, invest in a little higher quality food, like avoderm, nutro max, natural balance, etc. Also, it's best if dogs eat twice a day.
    miatagirl

Answer by miatagirl at 3:21 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• We have four cats that we feed outside, dry food. Used to, we'd just fill a bowl once but now we have four strays that eat along with our cats so we have to fill it twice a day. My dogs I just put out food in the morning and the big one lets me know when it's empty, he brings me their food container if it's been emptied... LOL... so all in all, they free eat, cats and dogs also.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 5:33 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My dogs eat twice a day That is actually better for them As far as cats they do tell you on the can an bag of foods. I typically cut it back just a little though because I have found for both cats and dogs they tell you to feed to much
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:09 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• High quality canned food is actually better for cats than dry. I don't have time right now, but I will post some links later. Plus, how in the world does dry food keep the teeth clean?? That is a huge myth. That's like saying that crackers/cereal/chips keep OUR teeth clean....no WAY.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:56 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I give my cats free choice with dry food. The "mush mush" is given in the moring and one can is for all 3 cats.
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 9, 2010