Depression?

I think I may have depression, but I don't have health insurance. How can I get diagnosis and/or meds, without taking out a 2nd mortgage?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Health

• If you don't have a high income, you might be able to find a place that charges on a sliding scale. Do a little research online. Google therapists, psychiatrists, psychologists, etc. You might also be able to find a support group that you can attend, which might be cheaper than therapy. Have you thought about lifestyle changes to help? Exercise is my saving grace with my depression. Not only do you get an endorphin kick, but I have more energy every day, I look better, and I just feel better about myself overall. I'm trying to keep myself off of meds, because I don't like feeling numb to my emotions.
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:06 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I agree about exercise, a routine, not sitting idle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Depression is nothing to mess around with- until you get insurance- St. John Worts Herbal pills seem to do the trick-but if you take then and not feel better-get your butt in to doc!
    40andholding

Answer by 40andholding at 1:11 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• my doctor told me after my first kid. i've been struggling with it for years, i found that if i start writing down my feelings that helps. i got notebooks galore around the house. somehow my feelings ended up as stories. give it a try, i have never been on any meds my whole life and i've been depressed since i was nine. if you want to send me an invite and we'll talk.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 1:14 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I do exercise, even if its just jogging the kids in the stroller, or walking the dog. I'd prefer something more intense, but I'm also in normal weight range. That one gets back burnered pretty easily.
    We're in the 50K range, so I don't think we would qualify.......although there's not much left after we pay the bills, etc. (Don't get me wrong, we aren't struggling or anything, I feel fortunate that our needs are met, but out of pocket medical is crazy.

I'd just like to like the life I have again, you know? I just want to feel happy.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:16 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 1:21 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Thanks, simplicity. It looks like they provide BC, vax, things of that nature. I didn't see anything about my issue, but maybe its under another category.

Maybe I can get a prescription from canada or mexico. :o/ I'm going to try St. Johns. Its worth a shot.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:29 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Stay away from meds from Mexico & Canada...You DON'T know what you're getting because it's not FDA approved. Working in a pharmacy I hear horror stories ALL the time, and God forbid you should take something not approved you have no leg to stand on, because you purchased it out of the country. Good luck, if you ever need to talk, I'm a good listener :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:39 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• NAMI may be able to assist you in finding counseling and medication services. Some of these meds are only 4 buck prescriptions, seriously---there's no reason to not get treatment.

Here is the link, you can contact them to see if there are services in your area. Most of the services are supported by the united way.

http://www.nami.org/template.cfm?section=your_local_nami
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 1:40 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• "mental illness".....you'd think they'd find a nicer name for it. sheesh.
    Is that weird to anyone else? not my place to judge, I guess.

There's one in my city, I'll check it out. Do you know if they pry? I'm not looking for a couch session. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, but some things are better buried.) Is it pretty simple, as far as diagnosis and treatment, without peeling off skin or anything?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:46 AM on Dec. 7, 2010