worked all my life, and still struggling

I know it's the hard economy, but it's taking a toll on me.

I had my daughter in my early twenties. I held off from having more children because of financial insecurity. People called me smart and that there would be plenty of time to have more kids. Well, those fifteen plus years have sped by without having any more children. Now I'm in my forties and still working and working to find a future and no satisfaction in my life. I have always lived a very humble life and every cent I made went to bills and to my daughter.

Now, I wished that when I was in my mid-thirties that I could have called defeat and had on-going pregnancies (like those single women who everyone hates who devour men with gotcha pregnancies).

I deeply desire a husband and a baby, but I'm graying (best friends w/Ms. Clairol). And, my current job is whispering retrentment. I'm a very highly educated women. But, I'm definitely not loving my life.

For those who have "blossomed" in your 40's in your lives, what kind of life have you lived? And, what would you say to someone trapped in an ongoing work cycle night mare? (I don't have enough money to escape)

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 2:10 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Health

• I'm just like you momma. Late 30's though and I have nothing. I have an higher education, a wonderful daughter and nothing of any value. I havent enjoyed anything for ME up till this point. Instead I have loneliness and sleepless nights.
    haysmum

Answer by haysmum at 2:33 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• yep, I'm in my 40's and no savings to speak of and wondering how I will make it through my later years since my body is already going to hell and without insurance it just is going to get worse.
    I sometimes get mad at myself because i remarried a man 10 yrs older when i was 35. He has nothing and only makes 22 grand a year. I wished i would have made a better decision with men and married someone who was "set" in life..but no he is 51 without savings or any assets and he has a sciatic nerve issue that is not getting better and can do nothing about it
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:04 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• 40 years old, single mom of 2 toddlers, and I had to start over at 38...literally. I WAS living the good life. Had a house, awesome credit...you name it. Now? I'm lucky to pay the rent on time and my credit is pretty much non-existent. To be honest, the "blossoming" in the 40s probably won't apply to our generation with the economy the way it is...unless it's a "self" blossoming....something where you finally realize that life doesn't come with guarantees (which is okay because most guarantees are crap anyways) and we find a certain amount of peace in what we DO have.

I'm still waiting for it myself...don't beat yourself up over any of it...
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:36 AM on Dec. 7, 2010