Another tarot question: Why shouldn't you purchase your own cards?

I've always heard that it's not a good idea to buy your own cards, they should be gifted to you. Why is that? Does anyone know?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 2:17 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Honestly, I would never trust someone else to buy my cards! I tend to be picky about "vibe" when it comes to that kind of thing. Plus, if you're like me and have a very limited amount of friends with the same type of beliefs, if you wait you may never get them...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:31 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My grandmother used to say that tarot cards that were given to you came with the spirits from ones giving them, some tarot cards did not have good spirits, so you have to be careful whom you recieve them from. Just as a ouija board, she says you take with it which was brought to it. Doesn't mean its bad to buy your own, you'll just be placing your spirituality and experience into them.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 2:27 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Traditionalist have their traditions and as rumour goes it should be gifted. But it's a classic who came first question. But the thing is, gifting or buying your own doesn't invalidate the cards or the readings. If you had a teacher, when you were ready to start practising you should be gifted a set a cards according to the traditions of the teacher. It would be more of a graduation present.

I didn't have a teacher and I've bought several packs of cards and worked with them. Some decks are just not for me and I ended up giving them away. My biggest worry about gifting the cards is the if I was giving them a deck that could not work with. So I don't look at gifted cards as the only way to them. Decks are highly personal to work with. If you waited for someone to gift you a deck, you could end up waiting a lifetime if you didn't have a teacher. So, who taught the first teacher? So go out and buy your deck.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:13 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Some say the energy is better if they are gifted, but buying your deck is not bad. I would never buy one of the internet but that is my prefrence I want to hold the box and see if the energy is right for me before paying for them. I have been doing profesional readings for a while now and use a deck I bought.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I bought both my sets. I found what I wanted, looked at several different sets to make sure. Didn't buy them on that day, but went home and pondered/meditated/whatever I did and then went and bought them.

I used to let people handle the cards (Cat People) before their readings, but when I bought my new deck (Raider Waite) I haven't let anyone touch them. I simply focus my energies on the person I'm doing the reading for and you know, it has worked out better. My readings have become far more accurate than they were before.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:06 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I've never heard of that either. I always thought you were supposed to pick your own deck based on what vibe it gives you. Perhaps that is why the two decks I own aren't cutting it for me. Anyone want a deck??
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:21 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I've never heard that. I guess it is a nice tradition but, I don't think it would make much difference to me. The relationship you develope with your cards is personal, so picking them out & buying them yourself helps in that process, too. JMO
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 11:34 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• From personal experience. I bought my own cards twice. Both times I got lousy readings from them and the cards met untimtely ends. (One deck my kids found and drwe all over, the other they cut up with scissors.) A friend finally gifted me with a set, and I've had them for about 10 years now. I always get great readings from them, except when I try to read my own cards, when they muddle up.

Maybe it's because she bought a different deck than I did. Maybe it's because they were gifted. Maybe I just hid this set better to keep it safe. I don't know. I just know I prefer them over any set I've ever handled.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:42 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I have also heard that the color of the cloth you wrap them in will affect your readings. Is that true?
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 10:09 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

Answer by Conley639

This may help:  Color Magick

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2010