am i supposed to feel my babie's tongue going back and forth on my nipple when breastfeeding? it is a very irritating feeling. her tongue is like sandpaper to such a sensitive area.

she's 3 weeks old now. we are working on her clamping when nursing (trying to get her to stop clamping/biting). i quit using a nipple shield a couple days ago-it didn't help with clamping anyways. no bottles or binkies now, but i have given into the temptation before. can't get her to keep her latch deep, like she gets a big mouthful, but then lets it slip and her bottom jaw makes a chewing motion. holding her chin does not even phase her. she just won't keep it open large. her tongue is over her bottom gums, i can feel it and see it.

JohnnaM.

Asked by JohnnaM. at 10:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't worry luv...she'll get the hang of it. Try not to use a binkie though as that just messes everything up. Binkies caused my son to give me blood blisters (stupid nurse at the hospital gave it to him after I said I didn't want him to have one).

Do you angle the nipple towards the top of the mouth? There are some great nursing videos online that I can find for you if you want. They really helped me with latching when I had my daughter.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 10:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• My son was a lazy latcher. When I first started That sensation would drive me crazy, and I would get a blistered area. Just hang in there. She will catch on, and it will become very easy!
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 11:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Lol, sand paper. No. I didn't feel that way and i didn't think his tongue was going forth and back.

If your baby bite you during the nursing, you need to stop nurse her and look into her eyes tells her it hurts. Each single time, soon she will get the message why no more mommy's nipple.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 5:58 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• The tongue thing is normal on a shallow latch. Keep working on a deep one. took us 3 months to get it right.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 6, 2008