Any vets or anyone who has had a cat with stomatitis?

Last year my cat had what seemed like a cold. One night she started sneezing and had watery eyes. I planned on taking her to the vet the next morning, but for some reason I started googling the symptoms and some sites said it could be a tooth problem. I checked her teeth and they looked pretty bad.

She received antibiotics at the vet, took them for a couple of weeks and was fine. I went ahead and had her teeth cleaned a month later (1st available appt.). They pulled one tooth, cleaned the rest. I started giving her soft food.

Her teeth look bad again, but no symptoms (no cold symptoms, no acting irritated/depressed/etc.). She eats like crazy (soft food and hard snacks) with no problems. Her gums are not red/inflamed from what I see.

I know her teeth need cleaned again (and she has an appt. for the 29th). I am just wondering if this does seem like feline stomatitis, or maybe just gingivitis? I also read that w/ stomatitis, when treated w/o removal of all back teeth, when eventually the back teeth have to be removed that is less likely to be effective, had the teeth been removed earlier (before they absolutely had to be).

Are there better treatments than just cleaning her teeth every year? We live in a small town, and I'm not sure how up to date our vets really are here.

sandra1023

Asked by sandra1023 at 4:02 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Pets

• If you don't know anything about this, could you bump it please? Thanks!
    sandra1023

Comment by sandra1023 (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• BUMP!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 5:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Some cats just have bad teeth- either because of their breed or genetics. The best this for a cats teeth is a strictly hard food diet. The harder the better. It cleans them as they chew and prevents plaque, tartar and infections.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• meandrphoto,
    I know that hard food is better for their teeth, but unfortunately I followed the vet's advice last year and started giving her soft food because he said she had stomatitis and would need soft food from now on. I am not so sure she does now, though. I do give her hard treats that are specifically for cleaning their teeth, and she eats them just fine. She won't however eat regular hard food now. She cries and whines until she gets soft food, and I am always so worried the hard food is hurting her so I give in. She is a domestic short/medium hair calico. Thanks for your answer!
    sandra1023

Comment by sandra1023 (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2010