public schools Vs. private schools when it comes to vaccines?

So I read an article about parents getting letters from a district attorney citing them to pay a fine of $50 for every day their children aren't vaccinated or going to jail. The article also says that the children could get vaccinated for free at the court house to avoid fines and jail time...

Now my question is if a child is placed in private school...do private schools force parents to get students vaccinated as public schools do?????

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/13/AR2007111301408.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Kids' Health

• This happened in what State?... Never heard something like that before...
    Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 5:22 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Even public schools cant technically force you too, they say they are required but if you sign a paper that it is due to religious beliefs, there is nothing that they can do.
    leasure0911

Answer by leasure0911 at 6:02 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Our private school requires vaccinations. My guess would be that they could be even more stringent, since they aren't required to accept everyone who walks through the door.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:12 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Wow, I thought kids could go to school without vaccines if you signed that paper who knows about private I would think they'd want it even more
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:28 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• What state was that in? There are only 3 I can think of which can legally impose fines. They can not outright jail you, they can jail you for nonpayment of the fines. Nowhere in this country is it illegal NOT to vaccinate, but there are a couple states which have found loopholes to force people to comply.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:13 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Wow I thought kids could be exempt from vaccines. While I do vax, and have never had this issue come up, my kids school vax form has a spot for exemptions and parents signed off on there.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:43 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• This is in Maryland. They have religious exemption. So the parents do not have to vaccinate their children. They would have to have a religious waiver done instead.

My oldest goes to a private school and we are allowed to opt out of vaccines if we wish. I asked when we registered him for preschool because I really wanted to know if I needed to keep looking for schools or not.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:38 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Yeah, I'm pretty sure no school can force you to vaccinate or not accept a student because of it. Just another form of discrimination.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:46 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Private schools can enforce vaccinations. Some do, some do not, depending on the school. They are absolutely allowed to refuse entry if a child isn't vaccinated to their standards. It isn't discrimination (there have been several failed law suits), they simply do not admit any child without the proper vaccinations.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:56 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Our private school requires vaccines or an exemption form just like the public schools.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2010