How much pocket money is appropriate at what age? (Regardless of how much you can affort) When to start giving pocket money at all?

Any ideas?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 6:55 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• he earns an allowance, thats his pocket money
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:03 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• It all depends on where they are going. I don't just give money for no reason. If they are going to lunch with friends, it's like $10. If they are going on a field trip, it's more like $15. When my son went to a week long summer camp with Boy Scout camp, I sent him with $40.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:02 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Never appropriate to 'give' a child money. Mine have to earn theirs. My dd also has to buy her own beauty care products (Since she thought she could just squeeze them down the drain- now she has respect for them, since they cost money, which she has to EARN!)

I was never given money, I earned my own. I paid for summer camp by earning money mowing lawns.... geesh, I can't imagine giving a child money, how will they ever learn to respect its significance?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:10 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I don't really know. DD gets money for holidays & birthdays & she earns $1 for every chore she does. She has over $200 saved that is just hers & is allowed to spend some of it if she wishes, but she wants to save it & i encourage that. BUT, 1/2 of all the money she ears we put in her trust for when she is older.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:15 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I don't really give pocket money. If the kids are going somewhere like a field trip or if their friends parents are taking them somewhere I will. The oldest mows lawns and gets some allowance. If the younger ones get money I usually put it in their savings account.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 7:30 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I think it depends on the age/maturity of the child. My 8 year old has an extra 5 bucks in her back pack. She's had it in there for months. My oldest who is 25 now would of just gave the money away or spent it at the pencil machine when she was 8. Kids are all different.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:08 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My four year old hasa wallet and he has about five or six dollars in it. He has never taken it out of his room but he feels so grown up to have this wallet, money, and a few pictures in it. We do give him a budget for when he has a birthday to go to. He gets $15 to spend on his friend and picks out a toy accordingly. He asks what a toy costs and makes decisions in the price range set. When he gets money from his grandma he can also spend it but knows he has a limit. He doesn't understand exactly....I mean seriously he is four and can only count to 30. Expecting him to understand the concept of money completely is a little much. But it is about starting the process. I do tell him when he asks for something that it is too expensive, his birthday is coming up, Santa Claus is coming, ect... He seems to respect that. At least no tantrums.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:32 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• mine will probably be getting $10 each this year to buy gifts (only the older 2 though). normally though they would earn about $5 a week if they would actually do their chores (they never do though so they never have money and i always tell them no when they want stuff at the store).
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 8:37 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I agree with Zoeyis that's what allowance is for. That is part of teaching them how to manage their money. What good is it doing if they get to spend it, then come get more from you?
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:55 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Spare change has ALWAYS gone half in daughters piggy bank and half in our piggy bank. We taughter her at 18 months about it. She is now almost 4 and still gets the spare change but nothing more than that.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 3:13 PM on Dec. 7, 2010