Do catheters hurt? have you had one? if yes how do they feel?

i heard you have to get one before you have a csection. i have a csection coming up in about two weeks. this is my first pregnancy and im alil scared. i really dont know what to expect :-(

mauricellaf

Asked by mauricellaf at 7:15 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Usually they put it in after you're numb. I can be a little uncomfortable, but just after you are able to move around. It didn't hurt when they took it out. It feels a little weird to pee for about day. If this is all your worried about, you are doing great!!!!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 8:41 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• yes i have had one and it hurt so bad when they were taking it out. , the retarded nurse didnt deflate some bulb in the tubing and she scrapped the inside lining off so that the very next time i had to go to the bathroom it felt like acid ALL THE WAY OUT.. omg i have never hurt so bad in my life.
    mistik75

Answer by mistik75 at 7:17 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My epidurals kept me from feeling any of mine...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 7:18 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Yes they do for c-sec, I had 2. They aren't as bad as you might think. More embarassing and awkward than anything.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 7:20 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• mine came out before that... It usually comes out 24 hrs after you have your baby. All mine did...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 7:23 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I had one with my 2nd and 3rd c-section. With the 2nd they put it in before I had the spinal, it took 5 nurses, 3 cath kits and 1 flashlight....before a veteran nurse with dead on aim took over and finally got it in! With the 2nd I told my doctor flat out that the last one was hell and he said they could do it after I had the spinal. So they did it that way and I did not feel a thing.
    You could ask your doctor if they can do the catheter after they do the epidural or spinal that way you will be numb and not feel it.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:26 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• When they make you walk around? do you have to carry it with you? or does it come out before then?
    mauricellaf

Comment by mauricellaf (original poster) at 7:21 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Did it hurt when they were trying? why didnt they get it the first time? :-/
    mauricellaf

Comment by mauricellaf (original poster) at 7:28 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I had a c-section in the morning and by that night they took out the catheter. It didn't hurt at all just a little uncomfortable. GL!
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 8:31 AM on Dec. 7, 2010